BP/W questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for some really great advice.

I can also see from much of the advice that many things are personal preference. sex bolts/wing nuts, serrated tri-glides/non-serrated, use them or not at the shoulder to waist strap transition, etc...

Suggestion on using the GUI/DIR web sites for information. Yes, already do that. In fact, there was one set of pictures that I looked at from a link that was posted here. However I failed to bookmark it have not been able to find that one again at this point. I am pretty sure it was off of the gui.org site but have not found a way back to that set of pictures. If anyone knows that link, that would be great. It was a whole set of different angles with a guy that had kind of dirty blond color hair, glasses and was in a blue dry suit.

So in the mean time, I am moving forward with this project. I do understand I may have missed some deals on the black friday, like a 32 lb HOG wing for 199, but I was never wanting to buy a pre made harness. Wanted to use this as a learning and familiarization exersize.

One thing I did see posted in the past, I think it was Peter_C, that you should pay attention to the different set-ups before you buy your own gear as you may find yourself buying things twice! Hey, I resemble that remark!

So to get started, I have ordered the basics. Pretty much everything except the wing right now. I went ahead and ordered enough of both serrated and non-serrated tri-glides so I can mess with both of the types. Someone had also mentioned burning a hole in the harness to accomodate the top hole in the plate. I have seen that. I am planning to use the die that is with my grommet tool to cut the hole, then have a lighters flame go through the hole to singe up the cut before installing a grommet.

Qty Description Item $ Each Subtotal
------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 Nylon Webbing, {2 in | 5.1 cm} wide, price per {1 ft | 30.5 cm}DX-201020 $0.69 $13.80
5 D-Ring, {2 in | 5.1 cm} S/S {3/16 in | 0.5 cm} diameter stock, standardDX-60242 $0.60 $3.00
2 D-Ring w/45 Degree Bend {2 in | 5.1 cm} S/SDX-60243 $0.75 $1.50
5 Belt Slide, {2 in | 5.1 cm} S/S SerratedDX-60566 $0.40 $2.00
5 Belt Slide, {2 in | 5.1 cm} S/S DR-HW1020-2 $0.85 $4.25
1 S/S Quick-Release Buckle, Heavy Duty, {2 in | 5.1 cm}DX-60401 $6.94 $6.94
1 Backplate, style 'DR', Stainless SteelDX-203020 $75.00 $75.00
2 Tank Strap, Standard w/SS Cam Buckle DX-205036 $19.00 $38.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal $144.49
Shipping: FREE Super Saver (Continental US) $0.00
Tax $0.00
Grand Total $144.49

So I think that minus the cam bands at 38 bucks, 106 for the harness and a stainless steel backplate is a pretty decent price.

Hi Keith,

I'm curious did you know about this deal from diveritein?
28lb BP/W System

What are you doing for a knife holster and knife? The one pictured below actually works really well, and if lost or broken...*shrugs* is really cheap. Much harder to sew though, as it takes a decent amount of punch and a number 18 needle would probably be best.

I currently use EMT shears.

Hi Keith,

I'm curious did you know about this deal from diveritein?
28lb BP/W System

Yes, I have seen this, thanks. Very good package. No doubt I can't beat that by parting it together, pretty close, but definitely more with the STA.

Ok then cus I have used plates from hammerhead, oms, halcyon diverite, oxycheq etc etc and as much as I want all the holes or spacing to be perfect I quickly found out that it really isn't necessary lol.

I found the oms and halcyon types to be pretty much all I'll ever need so when I saw the package I was pretty impressed at the functionality of that setup and price.

Ok then cus I have used plates from hammerhead, oms, halcyon diverite, oxycheq etc etc and as much as I want all the holes or spacing to be perfect I quickly found out that it really isn't necessary lol.

I found the oms and halcyon types to be pretty much all I'll ever need so when I saw the package I was pretty impressed at the functionality of that setup and price.

Well then, it looks like I am not the only one who has bought their gear twice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom