Bp/w, they all seem similar, what's the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok well i have done some research and like the DSS systems but my only worry is that there arent any dealers near ohio when i move back??? there are lots of halcyon and oxycheq dealers. is DSS a newer company so their not so wide spread as all the others or what is the deal? Thanks for all the input guys im going to try a DSS setup this weekend, will let everyone know how it goes.

I've got two DSS rigs. I've never had any issue with either. On the one occasion that I thought that I needed support, I spoke directly with Tobin who was friendly and very customer-centric and solved my "problem" in minutes.

Personally I would focus on the merits of the rig. IMO the DSS is the best out there. I would never get any other.

I seriously wouldn't worry about a shop 'servicing' your rig. There is very little service a BP/wing requires. Heck - Tobin even gives detailed directions and video on how to disassemble your power inflator, rebuild it, and put it back together. He sells the tool also.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Tobin speccing out my double setup. That's better service than I could ever get from my LDS and I DM for them...

He's really into being sure you are happy and get what you need. You won't be sorry buying a DSS setup.

BTW - from the time I ordered to the time my set up was on the doorstep was about 4 days. Doubt your LDS can beat that unless it's actually in stock, and unless they are tech heavy, likely they won't have exactly what you need in stock.

I can't really give you any information about brands other than DSS since that's the only BP/W I've dived. What I can tell you is that I've never had better service from any company in any purchase. Period. Tobin and I exchanged 10 e-mails (I'm a bit OCD :D) and had a 30 minute phone conversation before I bought my SS BP with LCD30 last year. In fact when my GF decided to go to the dark side last month and I ordered her the same rig (smaller plate), Tobin called my cell to make sure I'd picked the right wing. I can't imagine there would be any issues on the off chance that there would be repair required.

Allen

Oxycheq. N

I seriously wouldn't worry about a shop 'servicing' your rig.

So I don't need to send my BP back to Halcyon once a year for annual service? Will that void my "free parts for life" warranty?

:D

Nobody sends their BC back to the manufactuer for service annually do they? I have never sent one back. Most BCs use universal inflators which I have seen in the 30 to 50 dollar range or less. If it holds air it is good to go. You could put a new inflator on it every year for less than shipping and service would run you much less the time lost. Get two inflators and keep one in spare, learn to service it yourself. Rotate them out. The rest of it is a bag of air, it either works or it does not.

These things are all pretty generic, there is the angled style and the straight 90 degree style, I have seen these for as little as 30 bucks.

OMS Angled Power Inflator from LeisurePro.com

N

Wow the video for the inflator service was very good!

i guess the only reason i ask about service is because i have an oms wing that is less than a year old and it already has a poped bladder...i guess i can easily order a new one as easily as i got my oms because i had to order it anyhow...sorry for prodding so much but im trying to find a good one the first time like i thought i was doing in buying my oms IQ pack(not that its bad but its not anything special for what i paid for it).

i guess the only reason i ask about service is because i have an oms wing that is less than a year old and it already has a poped bladder...i guess i can easily order a new one as easily as i got my oms because i had to order it anyhow...sorry for prodding so much but im trying to find a good one the first time like i thought i was doing in buying my oms IQ pack(not that its bad but its not anything special for what i paid for it).

David,

Wings don't "pop". In virtually every case bladders are damaged by impacts. I would encourage you to review the video's I provided links to in an previous post.

Robust materials will provide a degree of protection against pinch flat damage. Recognizing how this damage occurs, and using your gear in manner that reduces the chances of such damage is equally important.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom