Bp/w, they all seem similar, what's the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'd almost certainly be happy with any of the gear you mentioned. From a price/quality perspective, it's pretty tough to beat Tobin's complete rigs. Usually even with good deals on separate components, like a hammerhead plate/harness/oxycheq wing, by the time you add in cam straps and shipping from a couple of different vendors, you'll exceed the price of the DSS rig. There are exceptions, and the differences are often not nearly what you think from reading the endless heated debates on this forum.

i didnt literally mean it popped... i guess thats a set back to trying to be semi-sarcastic with only text as a form of communication...tobin, i would like to talk to you about what set up would be best for my uses, i would like to do some deep diving and wreck diving with doubles in fresh water 130'+ ffw, with maybe another wing to switch out to dive with the old lady in the los angeles area for recreational diving....diving dry most of the time, if you would like to talk to me directly, pm me for my #.

i didnt literally mean it popped... i guess thats a set back to trying to be semi-sarcastic with only text as a form of communication...tobin, i would like to talk to you about what set up would be best for my uses, i would like to do some deep diving and wreck diving with doubles in fresh water 130'+ ffw, with maybe another wing to switch out to dive with the old lady in the los angeles area for recreational diving....diving dry most of the time, if you would like to talk to me directly, pm me for my #.

I just called Tobin at his place of business during his business hours. The number and hours are listed at www.deepseasupply.com.

BTW - I gain no benefit by promoting Tobin or DSS. All the stuff I have said is from experience with Deep Sea Supply.

i guess the only reason i ask about service is because i have an oms wing that is less than a year old and it already has a poped bladder...i guess i can easily order a new one as easily as i got my oms because i had to order it anyhow...sorry for prodding so much but im trying to find a good one the first time like i thought i was doing in buying my oms IQ pack(not that its bad but its not anything special for what i paid for it).

That's because it's an OMS. DSS wings don't "pop". And if it did, send it back and Tobin will have it fixed and back to you faster than you could even get OMS on the phone, assuming you ever could get them on the phone. Stay clear of OMS, assuming you want quality gear and outstanding service.

so nemrod was that a vote for the oxycheq or are you just a user?

Well, let's see, OK, it is a vote for. It has the thickest bladder, the toughest hide available, the best design and quality in my opinion. I have now used and held in my hands almost all of the usual competition, I prefer the Oxy. Your results may vary, good luck to you.

N

i guess the only reason i ask about service is because i have an oms wing that is less than a year old and it already has a poped bladder...i guess i can easily order a new one as easily as i got my oms because i had to order it anyhow...sorry for prodding so much but im trying to find a good one the first time like i thought i was doing in buying my oms IQ pack(not that its bad but its not anything special for what i paid for it).

Look, since your prone to "poping" your bladder perhaps you need the Oxy Extreme with armored exterior shell. I think a little care would go a long ways to preventing damage to your wing. I have looked at that OMS stuff and I am not impressed with them either for the money--good luck.

N

I've got an Oxycheq I've been diving for a while now. They offered a signature series with a inner/outer bladded system, where the outer nylon zips around the inner urethane. I've found the space in between will fill up with water when the wing's empty. If I'm getting out of the water and don't inflate my wing fully, I bring about 3 gallons of water onto the boat with me. I would consider the one-part bladder because of this reason alone.

for the whole popping cituation, im not sure how it happened i usually take exceptional care of my gear. i dove it, cleaned it, didnt look at for about a month and a half, got it out the night before a dive, and it had almost like a pinch in it.... two 3/8" slits about a 1/4" apart in the lower right corner on the tank side of the bladder. i dont dive my IQ pack with a backplate, i just dive it as a soft pack, so i have no idea how it even could of happened unless it got smashed while i wasn't using it but it looks more like a pinch since its two slits right by each other.

I've got an Oxycheq I've been diving for a while now. They offered a signature series with a inner/outer bladded system, where the outer nylon zips around the inner urethane. I've found the space in between will fill up with water when the wing's empty. If I'm getting out of the water and don't inflate my wing fully, I bring about 3 gallons of water onto the boat with me. I would consider the one-part bladder because of this reason alone.

Yes, the fabric is so thick and such a tight weave and there may be a coating on the inner side. The result is they will hold water and the two drain grommets need to be larger to quickly dump the water. I suggest they go to two mesh drain outlets and double the mesh to provide protection to the bladder. The grommets take to long to drain so like you, I punch the inflator before going up the ladder to push the water out.

N

for the whole popping cituation, im not sure how it happened i usually take exceptional care of my gear. i dove it, cleaned it, didnt look at for about a month and a half, got it out the night before a dive, and it had almost like a pinch in it.... two 3/8" slits about a 1/4" apart in the lower right corner on the tank side of the bladder. i dont dive my IQ pack with a backplate, i just dive it as a soft pack, so i have no idea how it even could of happened unless it got smashed while i wasn't using it but it looks more like a pinch since its two slits right by each other.

That's called a "pinch flat" and it occurs when the wing is sandwiched between two hard objects like a backplate and a boat deck or hard floor. Since you don't use a backplate maybe something hard and heavy accidentally fell on the wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom