BP/W Whats so special?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is an example of the versatility.

Diving a single tank.
DSC_0154.JPG

Next weekend diving the same plate and harness on a tech dive. Try clipping all that stuff off to a traditional BC (easily)
DSCN3167.JPG

The one great thing I love about a BP/W system is the fit. I didn't feel like i needed to wrestle with it underwater (unlike my old BCD - which was maybe just a touch too big).

Thanks All for your responses,

This has all been very informative!
I will be trying out as many brands/styles as I can in an effort to make an informed purchasing decision. I will definately make it a point to try out a BP/W.

For me it was a matter of what type of diving I wanted to do. I knew tech was for me after my first dive on a wreck. That necessitated a BPW set up. I now have two. One for singles and one for doubles. And as for cost it is actually cheaper to get a complete BPW set up for diving singles than many jackets. MSRP on an Oceanic Probe Lx is around 550. Some of the other like Aqualung and ScubaPro will set you back better than 600 bucks for one of their top of the line models. Get a DSS singles rig for 450 and it is infinitely more versatile, comfortable, and as was already said very easy to pack for travel. In addition it also looks way cooler.

just_a_regulator_guy:
Hi All,

Although I just completed my OW cert, I have been lurking these forums for quite some time.
It seems that there almost a religious fanaticism when it comes to people talking about BP/W's. Most comments are along the lines of "I originally bought a jacket BC, but now that I have a BP/W... I wish I bought a BP/W first." I don't think I have ever read a post where someone stated that they hate a BP/W.

Cans someone (in simple newbie terms) explain how a BP/W differs from a jacket BC and why someone should consider purchasing one?

Backplate and wings are used by both rec and tech divers. The standard harness has no failure points this is two inch webbing rarely brakes and the stainless steel D-rings and reatainers will last a lifetime.There are no cumberbuns, plastic or elastic things to break.

If you loose or gain weight or go to a different diving enviornment from a dive skin to drysuit it is adjustable.

I have three bp/w's with two set up for single tanks and one for doubles. I also have two BCD's a Scuba Pro Knighthawk and Aqua Lung Black Diamond. They're both back inflation and are excellent jackets. They both have more stuff from weight pockets to snaps that are not necessary. They're more buoyant than a bp/w and require slightly more weight to dive with.

Another advantage of the basic harness is that it does not restrict your breathing. You don't have to snug it down around your chest and wasit to make it feel a part of you. With a crotch strap in place where you move everything moves and you never feel like you'r going to fall out the bottom when you're on the surface. You can also flip over on your back on the surface and play like a sea otter.

Just an excellent piece of equipment and many are cheaper than a lot of the BCD's out there.

You could try the Rip Tide Zone back inflate BCD from Scuba Toys ($299, less 10% SB discount). It is very comfortable and adjustable. Its a little big and heavy, but once you put it on, it's light and comfortable. Many attachment points and will accommodate a BP and doubles.

just_a_regulator_guy:
Thanks Meng_Tze!

It sounds as if the BP/W is more versatile and configurable then a jacket BC.
From what you are saying it sounds as if a person could buy a BP/W and then buy different options/attachments as their diving needs change. Is this correct?

Let me put it this way. I use my equipment for: ocean rec diving, ocean tech diving, cave diving, wreck diving...... I have 2 plates and three wings: the combinations I can create serve me in all but sidemount, diving.

It can be done to certain extend as well with some of the later models of BC's. I am not 'selling' BP/wing config.

What I am saying is, look at what you are planning in diving and see what you need. It could be that your divng in the foreseeable future is rec. diving... no need to go down the BP/wing path yet.

Forget all the other answers as to better buoyancy etc, this is all relative to the dive style and experience. Buoyancy and trim come with experience, not entirely as a function of the BC.

Try before you buy. I bought several configs years ago before I settled on a certain config. It costs a bit that way. Rent and try... then buy

Although there have been some good responses, I'll just add my personal experience as a purely recreational diver. For me, there are three primary advantages:
  • Fit: I'm tall and narrow, and I never got a jacket to fit well. My BP/W harness is a perfect fit, as it's set to my particular dimensions.
  • Utility: A jacket with pockets is a nice idea, but if it requires contortions to reach them, what's the point? It was contortionism for me to get a hand in my jacket pockets, and then I added dry gloves, which made it basically impossible.
  • Geometry: The design of the wing is such that the BC bubble is contained in two long tubes (one on each side of the tank). A slight arch backward or forward can shift the bubble forward or back, making controlling trim almost effortless. (You can find "back-inflate" jackets with the same design concepts, of course, but most jackets are "wrap-around", which do not have the slack space geometry to allow the same types of shifts.)
I can dive perfectly fine with my jacket, but the benefits of the backplate and wing are such that I have found myself diving it exclusively. If I were tech or cave or whatever, I would have other practical reasons for diving a plate, but even as a purely recreational diver, I find the benefits compelling.

just_a_regulator_guy:
Thanks All for your responses,

This has all been very informative!
I will be trying out as many brands/styles as I can in an effort to make an informed purchasing decision. I will definately make it a point to try out a BP/W.

a back plate is a back plate... there are slight variations, but nothing major. If you're very tall or very short, DSS has different size plates. I'm 6'4 and Tobin recommended a Large plate, which is only an inch of two longer than my diverite plate. The main difference in plates is the angle of the bend. DSS is a flatter plate than diverite bringing the tanks closer to your back. Halcyon back plates do have a very pretty finish....? A harness is a harness... 2" webbing, I guess you could hunt around and buy different color webbing... Halcyon has a very nice soft webbing, but it has blue H's all over it... 5 d-rings, 5 serrated tri-glides (3 if you have a DSS plate) 2 non serrated triglides, a buckle, and you have yourself a nice backplate setup!

A wing is not just a wing... This is where you want to do some research and trial. Some people(is it just my imagination or are most of them on the east coast?) swear by OMS with all their bungies(I kinda like the bright red), some swear at them, Oxycheq seems to be a good brand, I've heard good things about AGIR, I am skeptical of Dive Rite wings(at least the Rec wing, too big for singles and marginal for doubles, and the whole bungee thing is a pain), there is DSS which many people here like(I have some misgivings), there is also Halcyon (damn that big blue H makes me fill like I'm their *****!) True they are expensive, but so far, I like their wings better than any other wing Ive tried. I recently took a trip to Hawaii, decided last minute I wasn't going to futz with my DR wing, and bought a single tank donut style. I flew in to the island, wished I could have tried the wing in a pool, and hopped in the ocean, I swear it felt like it was purposely designed just for me! The pull dump was exactly where my hand went to when dumping air, no feeling around for the little string, my trim felt perfect, all in all it was a perfect wing except for that large banner that says "Halcyon DIR dive gear) or whatever it says...(I have since removed the patch from my doubles wing)

Look at the shape of the wing, if it is shapped like an arrow with the bottom being bigger than the top, you will have more lift at your hips. Look at whether you need a single tank adapter or if the wings have slots in them for tank straps. I'm sure theres more I would recommend to you to look at but Ive only had half a cup of coffee and its time for a refill.

Back
Top Bottom