BP/Wing Users: What System Do You Dive Singles With?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pioneer 36 (w/ built-in STA) steel plate, ACB12 wif 8 pounds, 18W Can light, E8-130 waterheater.

Best rig in the world! Love it love it love it.

---
Ken

Oh if I'm diving singles, I'm wearing a 3mm wetsuit, steel plate, Al80, and nothing else whatsoever (besides fins and a mask :wink:).

Feels like I'm not wearing anything at all. Fantastic.

Otherwise I'm either diving the twin 80s with steel plate and no weight in a wetsuit, or the double 130s in the drysuit.......

SS BP/Pioneer 27# wing with build in STA - before that it was a DR Venture wing with STA - both are quite stable, but without the STA it slid around a bit and I was not happy with that.

Dive-Rite SS BP, Rec Wing, w/ STA...

Have not transitioned to doubles (yet)... although I am hoping there are a couple of Worthington 108's in my future... Would be used as singles for now..

1) DiveRite SS BP + DiveRite RecWing + No STA

Just switched from AL bp to SS so I have have most of my weight distributed onto my back and reduce the amount of extra weight I need.

RecWing actually has more lift (51lb) than needed for single tank but I am using it coz that's the only wing I have.

STA, don't need it with regards to the bp and wing I am using as cam strap slots are on them.

2) SeaQuest ProQD+ (BC Jacket)
Use it mainly for confine water assistance since it make skill demonstration much easier for students to understand.

I use different setups depending on the dive. What I choose depends on these things:

1. I like my rig as small and streamlined as possible. With this in mind, I choose the smallest lift bladder that will float my rig on the surface should I need to remove it.

2. I distribute the weight for trim and when weight requirements are the highest, I use Halcyon cam band weight pockets and a weight belt.

3. If a weight belt must be used it is no heavier than 8 pounds.

4. If I'm traveling on a plane I choose a wing that packs small. I still take the appropriate plate...irregardless of weight. Even with my heaviest plate my bag stays well below the max allowed.

5. If I'm worried about puncturing the wing...like when I'm going to be tossing my gear in the back of my PU...I grab a wing with an inner bladder/ outer shell.

6. I make use of STAs because of their weight and the solid, stable connection that they provide. It also makes switching tanks very quick and easy. (Although, I am wanting to try out Tobin's STA-less solution.)

For singles:

Plates: Halcyon SS, Halcyon AL, DSS SS with or without weight plates, and a FredT 9#. Hopefully my 12# FredT survived Katrina.

Wings: Halcyon 18# batwings, Halcyon 27# Pioneer, Agir 35#.

STA: Halcyon 3#, FredT 6#.

2. DSS single tank rig, no STA (none required), LCD30 wing, hog harness, steel backplate.

Steel because wet or dry the water here is cold and that means lots of thermal protection and consequently a fair amount of weight. I've even ordered the optional steel weight plates that are custom designed for this plate.

Hogarthian harness on SS backplate with either OxyCheq standard or OxyCheq Signature 30lb wing, 1lb STA. Use SS plate because I'm diving singles in cold water and need the ballast.

Use XS Scuba weight pockets for additional weighting.

DSS 30# wing, uses a very tiny STA
SS plate, 5#
no weight belt needed with a 3+3mm

wingnut:
I use a FredT .188 SS bp with the "light" (
2 piece) STA's and an Oxycheq 45# Sig. Series wing.
Same/same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom