BP/Wing Users: What System Do You Dive Singles With?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It all depends on what I am doing -- basic single tank diving -- Koplin short "chick's cut" 10# backplate, sta and Oxycheq 45# wing or Halcyon 27# wing. Shark diving where the chainmail suit overweights me -- GUTS Hot Pink "chicks cut" AL backplate and sta with an old beat up wing (it would upset me to no end if a shark were to bite one of my nice wings.)

Kimber

realdiver7:
Cleveland...please compare comfort of BP/W with STA vs. Back Inflate BCD for single tank.

Thanks.

Never used a back inflate BCD. I went from jacket BCD to BP/W no STA to BP/W with STA. The STA helped a little with stability compared to just strapping a single tank to the BP/W. I mainly bought it for the extra weight. As far comfort vs. jacket style BCD it was a HUGE improvement.

I appreciate the great replies...how would the Halcyon Pioneer 27# with built-in STA and aluminum BP work with a single steel 100 and 3 mm full wet suit? I normally dive tropical waters with 4 lbs. on my belt using the steel 100 and OMS IQ Pack with ABS BP inserted/32# wing, but occasionally I use a dry suit during the winter and add weight.

I'm wondering if the BP/Wing setup would be as comfortable as the OMS IQ Pack with ABS plate inserted when using singles. A STA is not required with the IQ, just like the DR Transpac II. I've been using the IQ, but am considering the simplicity of the BP/Wing.

A tech diver told me today that I would be going backward if I "step down" from the comfort of the IQ Pack to the simplicity of the BP/Wing for just recreational diving and teaching. I'm considering less drag, weight, nylon material, padding, bells and whistles, etc. Any thoughts on that?

Who sells Halcyon, or other wings with built-in STAs at good prices?

Thanks!

ClevelandDiver:
Never used a back inflate BCD. I went from jacket BCD to BP/W no STA to BP/W with STA. The STA helped a little with stability compared to just strapping a single tank to the BP/W. I mainly bought it for the extra weight. As far comfort vs. jacket style BCD it was a HUGE improvement.

Thanks Cleveland.

fredt SS plate and STA, dive rite rec wing.

would like an oxycheq signature wing though

realdiver7:
I appreciate the great replies...how would the Halcyon Pioneer 27# with built-in STA and aluminum BP work with a single steel 100 and 3 mm full wet suit? I normally dive tropical waters with 4 lbs. on my belt using the steel 100 and OMS IQ Pack with ABS BP inserted/32# wing, but occasionally I use a dry suit during the winter and add weight.

I'm wondering if the BP/Wing setup would be as comfortable as the OMS IQ Pack with ABS plate inserted when using singles. A STA is not required with the IQ, just like the DR Transpac II. I've been using the IQ, but am considering the simplicity of the BP/Wing.

A tech diver told me today that I would be going backward if I "step down" from the comfort of the IQ Pack to the simplicity of the BP/Wing for just recreational diving and teaching. I'm considering less drag, weight, nylon material, padding, bells and whistles, etc. Any thoughts on that?

Who sells Halcyon, or other wings with built-in STAs at good prices?

Thanks!
Personally, I would go for something that has an outer shell, a little more durability for those unexpected scrapes.

As for the harness, you will be perfectly happy with the simple hogarthian rig.

Since the Pioneer 27# doesn't have a protective shell, which wings have a protective outer shell AND a built-in STA?

Thanks!

Hammerhead SS backplate 5.5#, Hammerhead heavy STA 5.2#, Dive Rite Venture Wing, Dive Rite Transplate harness. No additional weight needed with 3mm wetsuit in tropical waters.

Katz:
Hammerhead SS backplate 5.5#, Hammerhead heavy STA 5.2#, Dive Rite Venture Wing, Dive Rite Transplate harness. No additional weight needed with 3mm wetsuit in tropical waters.

Is the Hammerhead BP shaped more like the OMS, DR, Halcyon, or others?

Thanks.

Great Lakes Dive Center
47450 Van Dyke
Shelby Township, MI 48317
USA
586-254-7670
info@greatlakesdivecenter.com

I have had excellent customer service from "Bob" at this place. He has helped me on a recalled inflator (I am in Hawaii) and gone out of his way on something he made no money on. When I need Halcyon items, I use Great Lakes Dive Center.

I use an eclipse. I am not a tech diver but love the hover stability with a large camera....

Back
Top Bottom