BP/wings purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcostanza

Reaction score
# of dives
Good morning,
Since I'm on a roll here publicly conveying a few Scubaboard members that I have great dealings with, here goes another one. (If you might be confused by the above comment, I just posted in the exposure suite area). I have recently had two purchases (drysuit and bp/wings) with two different Scubaboard members and can say I feel better about those transactions than with the dealings I've had with the LDS in my area. All things being equal (equipment / price ), that comment is based on the level of "service" and "customer satisfaction" to which I am a stickler for.

After feeling pretty good about getting all decked out with my own gear several months ago, I read about this thing called DIR here on Scubaboard. I thought to myself, "now that is an interesting approach....) I look at things in a logical manner, if it makes sense, I'll pursue further. If it is just to be another warm body on the band wagon, I rebuke it. I can handle peer pressure.

Lo and behold there was a DIR/F class held last month not to far from me and decided to take it. (only had about 40 something dives since I began diving this August so I didn't have anything to loose or bad habits to relearn). While I was the youngest in skill and probably age, I didn't do very well at all in the class but it exposed me to some new approaches that I have been able to work on and improve on a weekly basis since then. One of the equipment elements was the BP and wings configuration. (as many here are already familiar with).

I just "love" re-purchasing all my gear ( extreme sarcasm intended) especially since my "old" gear was brand new. I had heard about them and seen them (one of my dive buddies had the setup) and it wasn't until the class that I first used a bp/wing.

It wasn't until I started an in-depth conversation with Mike Ferrarra and his wife Sandy that I realized that the bp/wing setup was far better than what I had at the time ( and I had a really nice bc). That the bp/wings direction was a better approach was also supported by many of the replies (public and private) I received from the many members here as well.

Mike and Sandy took the time to "hold my hand" through many of the questions I had and made the re-purchase of gear a little easier. Mike and Sandy are very easy going people that take the time to make sure "you" understand what you are getting and do their best to address any concerns or questions "you" have. There was even one issue where they could've rang up a sale but agreed that the particular item being discussed was not the way to go. Thus no-sale for their shop. That type of approach impresses me very much. A shop that takes the position of doing what's right for their customers and not just to sell gear to make the cash register ring one more time. Approaches like that make me a little more loyal to that particular shop.

That was my impression and thought those that are looking to explore equipment options and as important if not more so the customer service that comes with it, might want to at least have a few conversation with them.]

Best Regards

Don Costanza

dcostanza once bubbled...
I just "love" re-purchasing all my gear ( extreme sarcasm intended) especially since my "old" gear was brand new. I had heard about them and seen them (one of my dive buddies had the setup) and it wasn't until the class that I first used a bp/wing.
Ya, I know what your saying. I too have new gear. A Ranger, thought it seemed like a good, durable piece of dive equipment. It is, but it does have its flaws. I have read that it hold air and gives about 4#s of bouyancy to the diver on top of everything else. I seem to need more weight to counteract that bouyancy than I would like and the whole "streamline" idea makes great sense to me.

To make a long story a bit shorter, I'm also considering doing the Ebay==> B/P and wings manuver. I would love to hear from another novice like yourself (just like me) what the you felt were the positives to the wing and what pushed you over the edge after spending the dollars for the BC. Also which BC did you originally purchase?

Thanks,

I currently own a Ranger and have been very happy with it but am in the process of switching to a b/p and wings. I am interested in tek diving and have tried using my ranger for his purpose and have met with some success. I think that I would do better with a b/p though. The simplicity and stability of the rig are what appealed to me the most. I have always disliked the fact that BCs have soooooo many pockets, straps, and crap that seem to just get in the way rather than aid in diving. As soon as I have the $$ to get a wing I'll let you know the verdict on which I prefer.:)

dcostanza:

Don't feel bad, I had to buy all new gear too. I still think that it was worth it though. Enjoy your new BP setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom