BPW in tropical waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK so I'm a guy, but I had no problems with my SS plate and Trek Wing in Bonaire (2.2mm shorty). It meant I carried 5lbs on my belt. For local diving I now carry 16 instead of 22 - although that's getting revised with each dive.

Kari:
Are there any women out there around 5'2", 112 lbs. diving with a BPW in tropical waters? How is it working out for you?

Hi Kari, I'm 5'2", about 100 lbs and am diving with the OMS single cylinder 32lb wing, stainless steel backplate with the comfort strap system - AND I LOVE IT. I also opted to have a single tank adapter on this setup, but it isn't necessary. 7mm or 3mm, it works fine for me. I never feel the wingnuts in the BP. I've been renting jacket style BCD's for the past 2 years and took the BPW plunge for my first scuba set up purchase. Nice not having anything squeezing your chest. I find it perfect for recreational diving and it is also a good techie "grow into" set up. Having the SS BP drops 6 pounds off the weight belt as well!

I'm not quite sure what your LDS meant by "not being able to maintain correct trim in warm water"? Back inflate has you horizontal in the water regardless of neoprene thickness no? I may be relatively new to diving... but IMHO, I think buddy might be full of hooey regarding his recommendations to you?

Laser:
Also a load of BS. A BP * designed * for doubles?? Run far and run fast from this ignorance.
AFAIK backplates were created *for* doubles....

pants!:
AFAIK backplates were created *for* doubles....
Sorry but I have both BP/W for singles and one for doubles. I have one BP steel and one Aluminum. I used to take the steel BP to warm water trips as I needed no weights but with weight retrictions on airlines now must bring The AL one. I dive all year long in single tank rig and wetsuit and have NO 'trim' problems. I use it interchangeably with al80 tank and steel100. still no problems. Love them both refuse to go back to poodle jackets unless forced.

I dive single tanks in a backplate, but that's not the issue.

Backplates *were* created for carrying double tanks, hence the need for an adapter when using single tanks. I would not blast someone for saying that, since AFAIK it's true.

Whether they're appropriate for single tanks is a whole other matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom