BPW issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dive with a 7mm, Hog Steel BP, Steel 130, and Hog 32 Wing. I put 2lbs on each side of my tank held on by the cam bands.
When I dive with a 7mm, Hog Steel BP, Al80, and Hog 32 Wing. I put 4lbs on each side of my tank held on by the cam bands .

Im 5' 10" 205lbs

I melted a hole through the webbing, I am going to see if i can find a grommet at home depot or something that will press over what i have already made.

You don't need one. Melting a hole in the harness webbing (I use a soldering iron) is what most people do, so you're all set.

For your weighting, start with dropping 6 pounds, then probably on the 2nd dive you can drop a couple more. You're going to be amazed at how much easier it is to get down without a buoyant BC keeping you on the surface, and how much easier it is to maintain neutral buoyancy without excess padding, and how much more stable horizontal trim is with the weight on your back. You're in for a treat!

Not to just re-iterate what everyone is saying, but you always want to be heavier if you can't be just right. Your old BCD was buoyant, and your new BP is about -6#....so overall you're probably gaining 8# of negative buoyancy switching over. You were at 19 pounds? Start of at like 13 or 14. To be more specific:
I'd take: 4#, 4#, 3#, 3# on your belt the first time with 2x2# on the boat.

After the first dive, with your empty tank, check your buoyancy. See if you can't get someone on the boat to help. Maybe pull your weightbelt off so you can change weights easily and just hold it for ballast. If you tank isn't empty, and you're diving an AL80, then get neutrally buoyant and add like 5 pounds.

Another option, to gain pool access as above, go to your LDS and see if they're doing a pool session or Discover that you could jump in on. Might cost you $20, but it could make your trip better. Of course if you're going salt water, then pool dives don't help too much.

Back
Top Bottom