Brain Freeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dapher

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I certified in May and have been diving all summer. Went to Coz in September and after I returned the water here has gotten much colder. First dive back no problems but then last weekend after a night of frost when I went under I got the worst brain freeze I ever had. Reminded me of eating ice cream as a kid. I dive dry and wear a thick hood and gloves. Any idea's of how to better warm up my head? I love diving and would hate to take the winter off.

LOL :D I just had this discussion with a guy yesterday.... The water temps here are dropping fast and one of the students in a tech class I was assisting with by videotaping commented that the ice cream headache season is upon us. I told him that what I do is make sure the forehead and temporal parts of my hood are over my mask skirt. That way all I have to worry about is the minute or so it takes my lips to go numb when I first submerge :ice:

IMO, mask removal (on purpose or accidental) is a very bad thing when the water is 45F or less :11:

I was a little cool Saturday especially around the thinner face seal of my hood. On Sunday I wore my beanie underneath the hood, the layering and extra material did the trick, for the whole 90 minutes.

Pete

Augh! I remember my first brain freeze. It was the first time I had to fight corking to the surface. Ow! My eyes watered like Niagara Falls. Fortunately, it subsided in about 45 seconds, I just hung onto the anchor line and exclaimed "Ungh!" until it did. My buddy had no clue as to what was happening to me, so, after holding up a "waitaminnit" finger and letting it pass, I invented a new sign for brain freeze. He understood. :)
I got myself a zippy hood to wear over the drysuit hood. It was a lot of hood to handle on the surface, but it kept my brain warm.

Thanks for the info. A friend tried to get me to buy a beanie for Coz, but I would not buy it because I was soooo looking forward to no hood. I think I will go back and get that beanie for under my hood AND I will make sure my temples are covered. Now if I can just find a way to heat up the water, life would be perfect.

spectrum:
I was a little cool Saturday especially around the thinner face seal of my hood. On Sunday I wore my beanie underneath the hood, the layering and extra material did the trick, for the whole 90 minutes.

Pete

Was that a neoprene beanie?

DrDuktayp

Back
Top Bottom