Breathing from freeflowing reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK

Contributor
Reaction score
The earlier post about breathing from a free flowing scuba tank got me to thinking about something similar.

I got my OW from SSI and while a lot of talk was expended on free flowing regs and how to stop them, no one suggested or had us practice breathing from one.

A co-worker got certified after I did with a PADI place. As we were talking afterward she mentioned that she had to practice breating off a free flowing reg. under water.

Being cold where I live, I have not been in the water to see how this works. Any tips if this happens underwater?

I was a little concerned that this might be difficult to handle if it happend and I had not had any experience. I was concerned that my instructor didn't even metion it could happen underwater. All the instruction did was talk about it when we would get in the water in the pool and have the thing start free flowing in the shallow end. After that it was not mentioned anymore.

How often is this a problem?

You turn your head to one side to keep the freeflowing bubbles from knocking your mask out of place.

Take the sides of the mouthpiece and spread them apart.

Hold the opening of the reg close to the lips and "sip" the air as it exits from the second stage.

the K

DougK:
How often is this a problem?
It's only a problem if you handle it poorly. :D Regs can freeflow in any water temperature, although the colder the water or air, the more prone they are to free flow. Over-breathing them can also be a factor.

Free flows are not always full blown bubble showers- some of them just start out as a small creep. I had a reg "free flow" in 35f water and it took me a while to realize it since it was so slight.

You are smart to be concerned and prepared- I would ask your instructor to show you how to breathe from a free flowing reg. I'm actually surprised that you didn't go over this is in your class.

In cold and/or deep water free flows are fairly common. Unfortunately they have gotten lots of divers hurt to...usually from the rapid ascent that follows.

When this free flow is going on, you may very well need your hands for other things so don't mess with this holding the reg out in front of you and sipping it stuff. Just keep it in your mouth and breath, letting the excess air escape through the exhaust. you won't blow up. The exhaust valve opens at very low pressure. Turn you head to the side if you need to to keep the bubbles from dislodging your mask BUT, staying horizontal will help here too. DON'T GO VERTICAL...that's for walking not diving.

The air will be COLD. Once you have a handle on things, if you have a free hand, then you can back the reg out of your mouth a little for comfort.

Practice this until yo can manage it midwater. Since we dive midwater, that's where problems usually happen.

It's not hard to handle but you have to keep your head. I have all of my students try it in the pool for fun. There are a couple different things you can do when breathing off the regulator. You will most likely want to deflect at least some of the air that's shooting out and there are several ways to do this. You can keep the regulator in your mouth and place your tongue in front of the mouthpiece while you breathe. Some people hold the second stage in their hand with the mouthpiece half way in their mouth so they can still breathe off of it. Some even hold the mouthpiece completely out of their mouth and sip air from the free flow like they were drinking from a straw. You can actually get your mouthpiece fairly far away from your mouth and still breathe off of it if you sip carefully.

The thing about a free flow is that you have a bunch of bubbles around your face and a lot of noise plus the rushing air freezes your teeth, especially in cold water. All of this can be overwhelming if you've never experienced it and you really have to keep your head in the game. The nice thing is it's an easy skill to practice in a familiar environment whether that's a pool or local easy dive site. I usually practice it after my safety stop before I ascend, let your buddy know that's what you intend to do so they stay with you and watch for problems. Just depress your purge button and take a few breaths off the regulator. Start by pressing it a little bit so there is a small free flow and as you become accustomed to breathing off of it press the purge a little more. It's really not a big deal once you get used to it and in a real situation you're only going to be breathing off of it until you execute your "stop the free flow" procedure.
Ber :lilbunny:

Mike has a very valid point (hands busy).

One thing i would like to add when you do this put the tip of your tounge to the back of your top teeth, like when snorkle breathing.
Let the reg hang loose in your lips and the bubbles will escape.

I have my G250 set to free flow if i open my mouth while breathing "very little cracking effort that way"

Ber Rabbit:
It's not hard to handle but you have to keep your head. I have all of my students try it in the pool for fun. There are a couple different things you can do when breathing off the regulator. You will most likely want to deflect at least some of the air that's shooting out and there are several ways to do this. You can keep the regulator in your mouth and place your tongue in front of the mouthpiece while you breathe. Some people hold the second stage in their hand with the mouthpiece half way in their mouth so they can still breathe off of it. Some even hold the mouthpiece completely out of their mouth and sip air from the free flow like they were drinking from a straw. You can actually get your mouthpiece fairly far away from your mouth and still breathe off of it if you sip carefully.

The thing about a free flow is that you have a bunch of bubbles around your face and a lot of noise plus the rushing air freezes your teeth, especially in cold water. All of this can be overwhelming if you've never experienced it and you really have to keep your head in the game. The nice thing is it's an easy skill to practice in a familiar environment whether that's a pool or local easy dive site. I usually practice it after my safety stop before I ascend, let your buddy know that's what you intend to do so they stay with you and watch for problems. Just depress your purge button and take a few breaths off the regulator. Start by pressing it a little bit so there is a small free flow and as you become accustomed to breathing off of it press the purge a little more. It's really not a big deal once you get used to it and in a real situation you're only going to be breathing off of it until you execute your "stop the free flow" procedure.
Ber :lilbunny:

Nice explaination.... I sometimes try it at the end of a dive, just to make sure I understand the feeling. Be advised that different regs feel very different, and where the bubbles go is different. My current best friend regulator is a 25/650 scubapro, and the 650 can easily knock a mask off (bubbles are coming very close to regulator, so turning to the side is important. A Poseiden - no big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom