Breathing from freeflowing reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbolander:
I'm going ice diving on saturday - The ice was 22 inches think at last measuring - and it was -20 C.

I'm diving rentals, which have had their intermediate pressure adjusted - I'm expecting at least one free flow - I'll post with my opinion later! :p

rbolander,

Are you out tomorrow (Feb 10th) or are you with the group going out on the 17th? If you are going out this weekend, I'd like to hear how things went. If you are going out on the 17th, I guess we'll see you then.

Well - I'm back from a weekend of Ice, and I have to say, this was the most demanding class I've taken so far. Hauling gear, tending line (which isn't that easy), and ensuring you are always ready to enter the dive rotation when asked, along with the rescue scenario were all things I gained a lot of respect for.

The course Director, Ron Engel, did an great job and made sure everyone was comfortable and was a lot of fun to dive with (Polar Bear dip, by the way, is an absolute must). Everyone had at least one free flow, none of them became an issue - As already posted, the best method for dealing with it is:

1) Keep the reg in your mouth, and allow the air to vent through the exhaust ports.

2) Make sure your buddy knows your'e flowing (it's definitely not always apparent).

3) Keep an eye on your PSI and decide if you want to just ignore the freeflow (which, in the only instance I had one, I chose to do), or return to the hole to pour warm water on your second stage.

Even the significant free-flows (of which I think there was only a few) ended up being pretty casual events. I found very, VERY slow and deliberate exhalations worked well to keep the free flow under control, and in one instance, even stop the free flow alltogether.

Hawk, my name is ray by the way - I might end up returning for a few pleasure ice dives on the march 10th-11th weekend, so if you enjoy the ice and want to go again, toss me a pm!

Did you do any skiing under the ice? You turn upside down place your fins on the ice and the tenders pull you back as fast as they can while you skii across the bottom of the ice. It's a blast.

rbolanderHawk:
Ray,

Thanks for the update and the "words of wisdom". You had a heck of a weekend weather wise - next weekend the temps will be in the plus range. Can't take you up on the 10th-11th - I'll be in sunny warm Curacao.

Bill

Scuba Brian:
Did you do any skiing under the ice? You turn upside down place your fins on the ice and the tenders pull you back as fast as they can while you skii across the bottom of the ice. It's a blast.

There were only a total of 7 divers so we had a rotation going that didn't allow for much "recreation" -- I plan to do this when I go back in a few weeks. :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom