Breathing Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking forward to my trip to Vortex, then. I've been working on trim, and I've always had good buoyancy control. I've worked my butt off in the pool and I feel confident in my gear, comfortable with it, and confident in my skills. I think this next trip, I'm going to see a major difference in my SAC. I'm stoked!

Oe2x

Get your SAC any lower and I'm not going to dive with you . . . . because you'll be DEAD!!!! :11:

the K

No - maybe comatose.:D You know I spent a fortune on all the PST 130's and now I can get 3 one hour dives off a single tank. Who needs doubles. Call me a cheap date. :D

A lot of what you need to do has been said. Make sure you do a good bouyancy check to ensure your not carrying a lot more weight than you need, just breath regular as the half a mouthfull of additional dead-air in your regulator doesn't make a difference, and just relax. You can actually see more by going slower because you'll use your air slower and be able to stay longer. On top of all the more you dive the more comfortable under water you will become.

I've been reading a book on diving physiology. In it, the authors talk about how certain breathing techniques (particularly "skip breathing") can lead to a condition called "valsalvic blackout." My understanding of the problem is that the act of blowing hard against the resistance of a regulator can cause the chamber of the heart that feeds the brain not to fill with blood--causing blackout. The heart fills with blood again immediately, but even momentary unconsciouness at depth is less than healthy.

Now, I'm sensitive to the fact that there are medical possibilities and actual medical concerns. (Sure, a healthy person can get bent on the first dive of his life without breaking any rules--but that doesn't mean that it happens a lot.) I'm curious to know if anyone has ever experienced this. Is this something that is at all common or should be of concern?

Dave Zimmerly:
After you are suited up and waiting to get wet, stop for a moment and clear your mind. Relax. Take some deep long breathes and relax.

Once in the water try this: Instead of breathing continuously in and out, try inhaling normally and exhaling in 3 short breaths. Spread out the exhales. Do this 3 times then take a normal inhale and exhale (to get rid of any dead air) then back to inhale, 3 short exhales.

I AM NOT SAYING TO HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Just inhale in normally and exhale in 3 spread out short breathes. Think in cycles of three.

After awhile it will become second nature. Above all, relax your mind and your body will follow.

For what it's worth.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

do this and you may wind up using more air--your co2 level(triggering agent for breathing) will build up..

Well, don't really know about "blowing hard against the resistance of a regulator" because breathing my old Atomic B2 isn't significantly different than sitting on my sofa and breathing as I watch TV, even at 100' +.

In fact, if a regulator performed in such a manner, it would be strong cause for an immediate service call.

the Kraken

oly5050user:
do this and you may wind up using more air--your co2 level(triggering agent for breathing) will build up..

I can certainly understand how having too much CO2 in your blood can be a problem for other reasons, but isn't it the LACK of CO2 (say, from hyperventilating on the surface) that depresses the desire to breathe?

Avoid shallow breathes...as they don't provide adequate gas exchange, remember all the air that exists in your oropharangeal space down to your bronchi is effectively dead air, meaning it is providing no gas exchange, therefore your blood's CO2 level will remain elevated which will cause your body to initiate another respiratory cycle...

Try to make a more complete , i.e. deep and full respiration at a slower rate which will improve your gas exchange

Paul in VT

Back
Top Bottom