Brigitte Lenoir dies in Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the translation:

After the tragedy
Jean Woeffray, the victim's dad, wants to try everything to bring her body back in Swiss. He started asking for donations, but is facing major administrative obstacles.

"At the moments I knew of her death, I decided to go for the search." Jean Woeffray, the victim's dad, is more insisting than ever on retrieving her body, which has been lying for a week in the deep water of the Red Sea, off Dahab in Egypt. The 41-years-old victim passed away due to a technical incident on May 14th while training to break the world record of women deep diving.

Technically, the expedition is ready. Jean Woeffray assured the collaboration of a freight company and a company specialized in underwater work. "We will use an underwater robot.", explains Jean Woeffray, a 65-years old locksmith. But the logistics will be very heavy and expensive. In an attempt to cover these expenses, the family and the friends of Brigitte Lenoir rely on the generosity of individuals touched by the tragedy. A bank account has been opened to collect donations.

For Dylan
The main obstacle is administrative. Jean Woeffray is facing the inflexibility of the Egyptian authorities. "They do not want the necessary equipment to enter." he says. He made several contacts with consulates, embassies and customs bodies. "I understand their hesitation, but I want to try everything to get it done, as soon as possible. I owe it to my little son, Dylan (the only son of Brigitte Lenoir, aged 11)."

Jean Woeffray knows better than anyone, that the chances of success at 260m water depth in the Red Sea are uncertain. And each day counts. "But I have no choice. I will do everything possible to bring the body of Brigitte. Later on I don't want Dylan to ask questions."

Details of the bank account opened by the family at deep230.ch

The victim's family wants to retrieve her body
Maybe they should ask Mrs. David Shaw what she thinks about that.

i truely think that if they can afford it to go ahead and try finding the body as long as there are no divers used at this depth because at this depth a recovery for 2 bodies is alot harded than 1 body...... as long as its a robot or what ever used then yes go ahead and try

i truely think that if they can afford it to go ahead and try finding the body as long as there are no divers used at this depth because at this depth a recovery for 2 bodies is alot harded than 1 body...... as long as its a robot or what ever used then yes go ahead and try
They can't; they're requesting donations. I wonder if the diver left any directives for such a time? It would seem like she would, to me anyway.

Very famous multiple death involving a body retrieval attempt. It highlights why it shouldn't be attempted with humans.

I don't understand the reference, sorry.... could you enlighten me please?
David Shaw passed away while trying to retrieve his friend's body from (as far as I remember) 270m-deep freshwater lake in South Africa.

My condolences to the family involved. Very sad.

David Shaw's story:

Amazon.com: Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and…

A very interesting read. As Red Sea' says, David Shaw died trying to recover another divers body, Deon Dreyer using a body bag, from Bushman's Hole (a Sinkhole) in South Africa.

Shaw had been working with both hands, and so had been resting his cable light on the cave floor.Normally he would have wrapped the cable around his neck, but he had been unable to do so due to the helmet he wore with the camera (I believe unfortunately the camera was worn especially for this dive) .
The lines from the body bag appear to have got tangled with the cable light, and the physical effort of trying to free himself led to Shaw's expiring.
The next day, both of the bodies floated up to near the surface as the dive team was retrieving their equipment.

Back
Top Bottom