Bring camera along without taking a UW photo course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get that the water pressure at 40m is not the same as in a pool or bucket. Unfortunately we have time for 5+1 dives and not more and if I test the casing on the final non-training dive, I'll miss out on actually taking photos.

If the camera housing isn't too big and distracting ask your instructor if you can have the empty housing clipped to you (or better yet in a pocket) on one training dive. If there is no camera to use it shouldn't be a distraction. The other thought is if these are boat dives just send the housing down on a line to 100' and then retrieve.

If the camera housing isn't too big and distracting ask your instructor if you can have the empty housing clipped to you (or better yet in a pocket) on one training dive. If there is no camera to use it shouldn't be a distraction. The other thought is if these are boat dives just send the housing down on a line to 100' and then retrieve.

Sounds like a plan! Boat dive is a specialty in my AOW course. :) Thanks!

all the info above is great. IMHO you should master your scuba equipment and techniques first before you start carrying around a complicated camera. just my 2psi....enjoy your underwater world.

Be aware that taking pictures, especially video, takes your focus off of diving, this can be turn out dangerous for you and at least annoying to your buddy. Of course, if your buddy has a camera, you both may be diving solo and haven't figured that out yet.

Bob
---------------------------
One could have a whole discussion just on the unintended hazards of photography/videography. I believe a camera is the most dangerous piece of equipment a diver can own.

Unless the dive in AOW is a "Digital Underwater Photography Adventure Dive" (or whatever the name is), I wouldn't allow students to bring a camera on the dives, and I doubt your instructor will either.

I was that way at the beginning, too. Who wouldn't want to captures all those images to share? What I found was that the camera was a huge bother while I was trying to figure things out and get comfortable. It seemes like such a simple thing, but when you are trying to work on your buoyancy, frame your subject and taking that world-class photo, you just might find yourself missing from the group you went down with, no partner to be seen, and you hanging upside down 15 feet from where you meant to be.

Give it a while before you take it down with you. Learn how to use the camera/housing on dry land until you can find the controls, etc without looking. Go diving with a group that is photographer tolerant and make sure your buddy understands what it is you want to accomplish. Take your time and do it right - the ocean and things in it will still be there when you are ready.

- Riktiktavi

On my recent dive vacation, a french couple with less than 20 dives on them kept running out of air because they kept trying to swim hard towards objects of interest they were intent on photographing. After the 2nd dive that lasted barely 30 mins for them (another DM buddied them up to the surface), our DM gave them a rude ultimatum out of exasperation with their antics - no more camera underwater.

I would seriously recommend you hand your camera over to other experienced divers to get photographed and not try to operate it and get distracted in the process. First learn to practice relaxation and awareness and discover a comfort zone with yourself about your diving experiences with your personal and physiological limits.

I am a newbie too with just 75 dives over the last many years but I still havent bothered myself with camera underwater.

Edit: oh wait , my bad - you are doing an UW photography course as a speciality? Ok then you absolutely need to learn to operate and handle it. Just watch your air consumption. I would still say take navigation for qualifiers and do the photography course later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~G0bble
Sent from mobile, please excuse brevity and typos.

Last edited:
I want to ask around for opinions, if diving instructors would stop me from bring a camera underwater without having taken any underwater photography course

If they do, please slap them upside the head EXTRA hard for me.

and what benefits there are to taking the course.
That is for you to decide. You can learn how to take pictures underwater well, but only if you have perfect bouyancy, fin control, manners, and the patience of the parents of a newborn.

Be aware that taking pictures, especially video, takes your focus off of diving, this can be turn out dangerous for you and at least annoying to your buddy.
OTOH, it really depends on the approach to the task and how much awareness you're willing to allocate to the photography. I've been a hobby photographer literally for decades. Even without a camera, I'm continually looking for subjects, scenes and potential photographs when I'm walking around. Or driving. Or taking the bus. Or hiking, Or... well, you've got it, I guess. It's second nature, and I usually don't even think consciously about it. I have the basic composition rules in the back of my skull, and camera controls (f/stop, shutter speed, ISO setting, zoom) are second nature. I also (think I) am able to determine when I can allocate mental bandwith to more complex photography, like manual settings or experimenting with angles, crops and perspective, and when it's time to put the camera in P mode and be content with a quick snapshot. I've also been comfortable in the water since I was a kid, so just being in the water was never an issue that was taking up my mental bandwidth.

Even on my OW course, I brought a camera. Of course, before whipping it out I asked both the instructor and the other students if they were OK with me taking pictures. The instructor told me that there was no way I was allowed to bring the camera underwater on the four OW instruction dives, but I could bring it with me on the last dive (the sixth OW dive, where we don't receive instruction, but perform an independent dive under the supervision of an instructor or a DM). During that dive, I could afford enough mental bandwidth to take two or three quick snaps which are probably among the crappiest UW pictures I've taken, but I was happy with them since I had that memory recorded.

Ever since, the camera rig - first a compact in a cheap acrylic housing, later a more "serious" rig with strobe arms and the works - has been living on my BCD. I've probably goofed up once or twice by not keeping sufficient focus on my diving, but no more than other task loadings have on other occasions. I don't start "photographing" - as opposed to "taking snapshots" - unless I'm feeling secure with my buddy and I know that my buddy's buddy awareness is at the level I demand from myself and expect from my diving buddies, and if there ever is something more serious demanding my attention, I just let go of the rig and leave it dangling from the tether to my BCD.

From my experience, I'd like to modify Bob DBF's advice:
Be aware that taking pictures, especially video, takes your focus off of diving, and if you are taking pictures underwater, don't ever forget what your primary concern should be! And be honest with yourself in that respect, because if you forget your priorities, this can be turn out dangerous for you and at least annoying to your buddy.

If you're truly able to do that, I'm not as concerned as some of the other posters about bringing a camera even early in your diving career.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've already checked the housing, weighed down in a bucket of water overnight with strategically placed tissue paper, and it withstood that test at least. I might be able to test the housing and camera together in a swimming pool, but I won't go diving until my AOW course.

I get that the water pressure at 40m is not the same as in a pool or bucket.
..snip..

In my experience if a housing is going to leak it will do so in the first couple of meters. As you go deeper the housing parts are pressed together by the pressure normally improving the seal.
Then as you get a lot deeper one or more of the buttons may either self operate (my Canon housing) or become harder to operate (my Sony housing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom