Bring camera along without taking a UW photo course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time I took a camera on a dive was at about 75 dives, and I was amazed at how much additional task loading there was carrying a simple little point and shoot with me ... or maybe it was just me. Personally, I still like the idea of a minimum of 50 camera-free dives, concentrating on the diving and nothing else, before carrying one.

I want to ask around for opinions, if diving instructors would stop me from bring a camera underwater without having taken any underwater photography course, and what benefits there are to taking the course.

A friend would not let you bring a camera with 0-24 dives. No way, no how do you have the skills and situational awreness to do any from of justice to the camera, your safety and that of your buddy.

If you are diving with an instructor (AOW?) and photography is not the objective he's off base in letting you be distracted form the subject matter.

Pete

A friend would not let you bring a camera with 0-24 dives. No way, no how do you have the skills and situational awreness to do any from of justice to the camera, your safety and that of your buddy.

If you are diving with an instructor (AOW?) and photography is not the objective he's off base in letting you be distracted form the subject matter.

Pete
Judgemental Much?

How do you know what skills and SA he has? Have you met him? Just because you couldn't use a camera then doesn't mean he can't.
This is the sort of nonsense that keeps people from enjoying diving. If he wants to use a camera, he can and should. It's complete nonsense to say that because he doesn't have X number of dives, he can't use a camera.

What are you two, the frigging Scuba Police? Give me a break...
stock-photo-9157999-police-scuba-team-badge.jpg

I want to ask around for opinions, if diving instructors would stop me from bring a camera underwater without having taken any underwater photography course, and what benefits there are to taking the course.
You tell me...
Ive never taken a formal photo course, neither landbased or for diving. You think an Instructor should tell me to leave the camera on the boat?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89057162@N03/collections/72157635355916232/

(Oh, and for the record.. I never touch or rest on anything either)

Ive never taken a formal photo course, neither landbased or for diving. You think an Instructor should tell me to leave the camera on the boat?
I would pay good money to watch one try!
:popcorn:

Two comments:
1. I'm not convinced your AOW class is actually taking your needs and desires into account. The only required dives are Deep and Nav. AOW students usually need PPB. The other two dives ought to be what YOU want....Boat? Not so much. Make them give you the Digital Underwater Photography Adventure dive for your AOW. Unfortunately, it is Dive #2 of the specialty, not #1, so you'd have to do 6 dives (which you are going to do anyway) but you'd get AOW and the DUP class.
2. I've got a fellow who travels with me on my group trips; he has horrible buoyancy and situational awareness, and he insists on bringing a camera with him, even though it just make his problems worse. He is a danger to himself, seriously. I do not want to tell him he can't carry a camera, although I have advised it. he ignores the advice. So I'm going to tell him he can't go on the trips with me, unless he leaves the camera at home.

I have no idea what your diving is like. But it will be worse with a camera taking your attention. Do you need a class? No, but you do need to be a competent, confident diver before taking pictures. An instructor might be able to point that out to you during a photography class...but you have to listen.

0-24 dives, case closed. I don't consider it being judgmental at all, just common sense and logic. Is it magic between 24 and 25? No it's not.

The question was asked and answered and it's non binding. Put your silly badge away. I have seen this play out before and stand by my statements.

Pete

Judgemental Much?

How do you know what skills and SA he has? Have you met him? Just because you couldn't use a camera then doesn't mean he can't.
This is the sort of nonsense that keeps people from enjoying diving. If he wants to use a camera, he can and should. It's complete nonsense to say that because he doesn't have X number of dives, he can't use a camera.

What are you two, the frigging Scuba Police? Give me a break...
stock-photo-9157999-police-scuba-team-badge.jpg

I think the most important "skill" you need for underwater photography is remembering to check your SPG. Oushing a camera and shooting pictures is harder work than just swimming around. Photographers often burn through their gas quicker and push their gas consumption looking for one last shot. You need to have great diving skills and be very disciplined. It all depends on the instructor if an UW photo course is worth it or not. If you are a good diver and topside photographer you can probably learn the basics from books and the internet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

0-24 dives, case closed. I don't consider it being judgmental at all, just common sense and logic. Is it magic between 24 and 25? No it's not.

The question was asked and answered and it's non binding. Put your silly badge away. I have seen this play out before and stand by my statements.

Pete
Ah, I see. Every diver can therefore be assessed solely on their dive numbers. Nothing more, huh?

Your argument doesn't pass the commonsense test. You do not know how he dives. I don't know how he dives. But you've decided based on nothing but an arbitrary number that he can't handle a camera. So when, in your glorified opinion, will he be safe to handle a camera? Since you've decided 24 is not enough, how many are? Where is the magic number?

You're prejudiced against him, without knowing his skills or abilities you've already decided he can't handle a camera. I've seen divers with thousands of dives have terrible skills. I've dove with a diver who had skills as good as any I've seen on her 6th dive. And she carried a camera.

Sorry, but just because you couldn't hack it at these number of dives, doesn't mean others can't.

There are people who are better divers than you and I out there, you know.

0-24 dives, case closed. I don't consider it being judgmental at all, just common sense and logic.
M-hm. So until I reached 25 dives it was downright stoopid of me to bring my camera, but on the 25th it was suddenly all right? What kind of magic happened exactly between dive #24 and dive #25?

Is it magic between 24 and 25? No it's not.
It just looks that way... :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom