Bringing steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aldora Divers uses HP steel tanks exclusively and we have our own fill station and membrane nitrox device. WE have HP 120s HP 100s, and HP 80s in all nitrox blends. In the 90s I used to drag my HP 120s around the Caribbean ( and had one heck of a time getting them filled) but that is certainly not necessary in Cozumel anymore.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Yes, it is tempting to switch operators, but other than tank selection I've never been disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For myself, I would say switch. Aldora does a fantastic job, and the HP120 tanks make it totally unnecessary to tote around your lp85. Also, there are a few other Dive Ops that have big tanks. There is no way I would put up with all the hassle of dragging tanks down there.

I'll drag a pony along but bringing larger tanks by air doesn't seem cost effective.

My first question is will the main fill station fill a lp85 to 3000 psi or will I get a short fill?

This is more of a general question and not Cozumel specific.

I see these kinds of comments at times here on SB. I know it seems to be common to get the 3000+ fill on LP tanks in cave country, Florida.

I see you are in Wisconsin.

Is it common around the US or even around the world to fill an LP tank to 3000+?

I have never seen a fill station in California or in Washington, fill an LP tank any more than 2640.

If I had ever received a fill above that 2640 mark, I would say I had a great fill and not a short fill.

The two places I go to will fill to 3000 or higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fully appreciate that Christi is a local professional and authority, but Vips are not required.

That may have been your experience on a vacation or perhaps they were not as rigid on your pony bottle or you got someone who was unaware or lazy. All of these are possibilities - but VIP's are required and are the norm. They also require VIP's if we return tanks that are dry whether they are our own tanks or rental tanks - meaning a diver has sucked them bone dry. They send out periodical letters to all of the ops as reminders not to let our divers suck down the tanks or we will be required to VIP - and it has happened. I've gotten a few bills over the years for unexpected VIP's from divers sucking their tanks dry.

I have not seen a VIP sticker on any rental tank in Cozumel. That being said it seems reasonable that they would want to look into a tank that was returned with 0 pressure. Replace neck oring and check valve function?

I have not seen a VIP sticker on any rental tank in Cozumel. That being said it seems reasonable that they would want to look into a tank that was returned with 0 pressure. Replace neck oring and check valve function?

I've seen plenty of VIP stickers from tanks rented from Meridiano. They do exist, especially on nitrox tanks/O2 clean tanks. Not really common though for a lot of dive shops to have VIP stickers on their tanks down there though from what I've seen.

I would imagine a lot of shops run into the same problem we have where I teach. We try to keep stickers on them but typically we keep an excel spreadsheet at shop with pertinent information/date of inspection. High volume/heavily used tanks, the viz stickers don't hold up well.

FILL POLICY | Meridianon 87

Can actually see a picture of some of their visual stickers here:
http://www.meridiano87.com.mx/images/bannerAire.jpg

Back
Top Bottom