Bringing steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen plenty of VIP stickers from tanks rented from Meridiano. They do exist, especially on nitrox tanks/O2 clean tanks. Not really common though for a lot of dive shops to have VIP stickers on their tanks down there though from what I've seen.

I would imagine a lot of shops run into the same problem we have where I teach. We try to keep stickers on them but typically we keep an excel spreadsheet at shop with pertinent information/date of inspection. High volume/heavily used tanks, the viz stickers don't hold up well.

FILL POLICY | Meridianon 87

Can actually see a picture of some of their visual stickers here:
http://www.meridiano87.com.mx/images/bannerAire.jpg
I suspect that Christi and other shops do their own visuals inspections, keep their own records, and the fill station only does & charges when a tank is empty.

I never thought much of these inspections as it only guarantees the tank is clean until the next dive. With my pony, many agencies would say to have it inspected after breaching - that is, after every trip, each way. Toro caca, or is it caca de toro? I figure that I am responsible about keeping my personal pony clean, and I am the only one who bears any risk.

Hydros are a totally different issue, of course.

...I'm in a unique situation....

Don't leave us hanging. How about some followup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Did you bring the tanks down and any advice for others? This is a very unique post that's not been asked before.

I suspect that Christi and other shops do their own visuals inspections, keep their own records, and the fill station only does & charges when a tank is empty.

I never thought much of these inspections as it only guarantees the tank is clean until the next dive. With my pony, many agencies would say to have it inspected after breaching - that is, after every trip, each way. Toro caca, or is it caca de toro? I figure that I am responsible about keeping my personal pony clean, and I am the only one who bears any risk.

Hydros are a totally different issue, of course.

Agreed. I checked with Dave D (I'm diving with his operation in late March). I usually fill my pony with a transfill whip, the tank is out of visual but in hydro.

He told me no problem to get it filled (I offered the option of me packing the whip and using it).

We are bringing two pony tanks down in January. My dive op which uses the main fill station said not to bother with the vip in the US since they are transported without valve. The end conclusion is that the station will either look into the tank before they fill or not. It doesn't matter to me since they are only charging 5$ per tank. I had thought about bringing couvs 1$ fill whip but am just going to have the tank filled to 3000 psi by the main station for 5 bucks.

We are bringing two pony tanks down in January. My dive op which uses the main fill station said not to bother with the vip in the US since they are transported without valve. The end conclusion is that the station will either look into the tank before they fill or not. It doesn't matter to me since they are only charging 5$ per tank. I had thought about bringing couvs 1$ fill whip but am just going to have the tank filled to 3000 psi by the main station for 5 bucks.
Ensure that your Op has a tank valve wrench. I was taught that one should only screw the valve on hand tight, but it takes much more than that to get them lose at the end of diving.

I have brought my rebreather tanks down to Cozumel three times. They are steel hp23s so small pony bottles essentially. It's not an issue. Put a piece of tape over the opening and bring valves. Even though it technically invalidates your VIP, the fill station will not care.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Just went through security. It was interesting. TSA opened my buddies bag and inspected his cylinder. My bag with tank went right through without needing to be inspected. Go figure.

Inconsistency is planned into TSA searches so the bad guys won't know for sure what to expect.

Inconsistency is planned into TSA searches so the bad guys won't know for sure what to expect.

Ah, yes, the old "we'll probably let half of you through if you come in bunches" strategy. How like the Government.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom