Bringing steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's good info. So basically if you bring a tank from the states you are not going to get a nitrox fill?

Your chances are better of a Nitrox fill going through your operator who will vouch for the tank. Remember they don't know who cleaned the tank of hydrocarbons, who rebuilt the valve with O2 safe components, who put the correct O2 safe neck O-ring in, and who did the hydro correctly to 5/3rds. Filling tanks is a mutual trust because it's a bomb basically for the filler person. If your tanks blows a component on the fill, they will want to hold someone accountable (search the scuba club incident months ago here). Everyone wants to stay safe. You still may be required to get a Cozumel VIP sticker that the fill station trusts and recognizes. The main problem is "They don't know you, But they do know & trust your dive op". Your on vacation, you really don't want to have the tank rejected for fills (for whatever reason the fill station chooses)

Even if you have your op bring the tank in.
The dive Op will vouch for you and your tank (within reason). The filler person knows the dive Op, they don't know you or your USA vip stickers.

And they won't fill lp 85 to 3000?

The Dive Op leaves their tanks to be slow filled and will get ~3000psi on your LP steel tank. Sitting on the loading dock waiting like we did in the pictures above, we averaged 2750psi because of hot fills. It's really best to leave them overnite. If your tank comes with a short fill, your dive op will have more influence to get it filled the way you want it. Remember your are only there for a few days, the dive op is there for years and has alot more influence with the fill station than someone who will be gone by the weekend.

With a 15 year history with your current dive op, I'd go through them. If it is just you and you buddy diving on a private boat, I don't see a problem. If you are diving with a Standard 6 pack boat with 4-6 other divers, I could see an issue if everyone else is diving 80's and y'all are at 1500 psi and everyone else is on their safety stop. i dove with Aldora last month and the steel 120's are amazing. Our last dive was almost 90 minutes of pure drifting bliss. I think Bottom Time or Living Underwater also use 120's. I would think your dive op could source them from another op and avoid all the hassle for transport, fills, etc. for what it's worth, my wife was diving a steel 100 and always finished within 200 psi of me. If your not an air hog like me, a 100 may work just fine. Have fun and drink a Bohema Obscura at The Thirsty Cougar for me. The Lobster Rolls at the Lobster Shack across the street are worth eating as well. Jay

It didn't. It has enough pull to change the behaviour of a single dive op that gets a lot of its business from Undercurrent reviews.
I'm surprised the undercurrent had enough pull to change behavior at a foreign fill station. Maybe they should focus on CO instead. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember that airlines won't transport scuba tanks unless they are completely empty AND with the valve completely removed. Meaning that there is the possibility of contamination on the flight down, so you'll need the tanks cleaned, valves replaced (with oxygen safe O-rings and valve lube), and recertified for Nitrox before even thinking about fills.

I'm just going to pull valve and tape. I also have couvs 1$ transfill adaptor if I need to put some air back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just going to pull valve and tape. I also have couvs 1$ transfill adaptor if I need to put some air back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you bring a tank down from the states - the valve will have to be removed - every shop and the fill station know this. Meridiano will require a VIP - I can tell you that much. If you plan to be leaving them here - it's worth bringing them down and having the VIP done - it's a nominal cost. If you just want to haul them back and forth - it's really overkill and IMO unnecessary for a short dive trip - and by short, I mean anything less than a month.

Again, my recommendation is to speak directly to your dive op - in advance. Give them the heads up if for no other reason than to be courteous in case they need to make any special accommodations and can plan accordingly. Just showing up in the afternoon and telling them you need your tank filled for the next morning may or may not be possible.

Remember that airlines won't transport scuba tanks unless they are completely empty AND with the valve completely removed. Meaning that there is the possibility of contamination on the flight down, so you'll need the tanks cleaned, valves replaced (with oxygen safe O-rings and valve lube), and recertified for Nitrox before even thinking about fills.
Yep, they will not be O2 clean after any plane trip, either direction. They fill Nitrox tanks with a blended mix from banks so you might get it ok, but ruin your O2 status.

I pulled my valve and put clear tape over it on my pony when I brought it down. It was in my carry on and they didn't even look at it.
You got a pony? Good idea with your buddy skills. :silly: The TSA rules say the tank has to be breach and open, so the clear tape is a violation - but it's always worked for me, and I use black tape. I double the ends back some to make it easy to remove, and I have seen some pull the tape and look - as if they could see well inside, then replace. Never had a problem.

I've been to the Meriando 87 a couple of times. I had a brand new shiny yellow pony and they still wanted to look inside. And even then air only, not nitrox because they didn't know the shop that certified it O2 clean (yes i know they pump blended not PP). And 3000psi if you want to wait for it? Not on a hot fill with no cool down.

Please remember that Cozumel is not the United States. Things like stateside VIP's, O2 clean certs and even hydro markings might be alot tougher to be accepted by them if they don't personally know you. Most likely, they have never heard of your local US dive shop and wouldn't trust their VIP sticker. Might as well print your own off the computer. Cozumel operates on a person to person basis and if they have never seen you before, it's a steep hill to climb. They also don't want to go behind their dive shop operators and go direct (It's also not even a savings to the diver since I got a much higher walk in price).
attachment.php
They do not care about visual inspections. My pony did not have a current one last time, so I tried to get it vizzed on arrival only to told it's not required. Annual viz is only good until the next dive anyway - pretty worthless. Again, I have never had a problem getting my pony filled.

I fully appreciate that Christi is a local professional and authority, but Vips are not required.

Back
Top Bottom