Bringing your own gear for an OW Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question:
While taking a class, Is it typical for a LDS to not allow outside gear to be used durring the class?

I'm retaking my open water class (15 year gap in diving) and the isntructors are telling the class that, other than mask, fins, & snorkel, they cannot bring outside gear into the class unless it was purchased in their shop. When questioned on this the gave us a lame excuse saying that their insurance wouldn't cover them and that the instructors needed to be completely familiar with the gear in order to ensure our safety.

Is this typical or just a tactic to get the students to buy gear from their shop?
Our shop does allow you to bring your own gear, but we will check it out to make sure its worth diving. We see entirely too much gear from garage sales, auctions (internet type and "brick n mortar") that is unfit to dive in. We would love to buy all new gear from us...........but we want to teach you to dive and hopefully you'll be back to us for your equipment upgrades.
We keep our classes, pool and such small enought that we don't "get confused as to what gear students are wearing. It's not that difficult. We sell dive and like teaching with ScubaPro BC's with Air2's. But if you bring in your own gear with an octo, no biggie, we will show you how to
use what you are diving. We'll also let you try our rental gear and try different fins and masks. See what works best for you, whats most comfortable.
Also stay away from any shop that wants you to buy ALL you gear upfront from fins to regs to wetsuits and BC's before you even get in the pool.. They are just wanting the gear sales.

I think a better definition would be: Incompetent, Unqualified and Dangerous. Keep in mind they still have to pass a skills test but I've seen DM's that slid thru because they were friends of the instructor. I am about to (finally) take my Rescue and EFR courses thru an instructor I know not to be too accommodating, which is why I chose her. When her husband was going for his DM, she was his instructor and would not let him slide on anything! When I take a course I take it seriously, and when I receive my C-card I want to know that I "earned" it.

When Bill takes the OW course, he's going to have to do all of the required work in the book and do all the skills tests just like everyone else. Don't forget that Bill "is" certified and does not have to take this course but wants to for several reasons. I don't think cheating is an issue here.
PADI, SSI, SDI, NAUI ect....You've got instructors that are great and some that you'd not ever want to dive with. If you don't feel comfortable at the dive shop, go back out the door and try another shop. All shops want you to buy your gear from them, thats how they survive.
The easiest way to own a dive shop and make a millon bukcs, is to start with 2 million.

Find a new dive shop. I may be new but the dive shops I checked out/interview encouraged us to bring our own gear if we had it. In fact people are at the pool all the time with their own gear.

So my daughter came to me during her training and told me that the LDS didn't have a BC that fit her. They gave her one that was too big. I spoke to the instructor and said I would have her personal BC shipped in and she could use it. I got the BS about only using the LDS stuff, won't add in any unknowns to the class, etc. I said get her something that fits, or I would complain to their certifying agency.

They did.

And I still have that used BC; my next daughter will use it when she trains next year. But not at this particular LDS.

If your SSI instructor and shope hand out the test to take home and take, IMHO, find another shop. If they can't teach the material well enough to get you through an SSI test without it being open book, they don't deserve to be instructing and the shop doesn't deserve to be operating if they know a about it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. And yes, I am an SSI instructor so I am a bit familar with the test.
Quiet honetsly too, the test isn't that bad. As long as you have done your work in and out of the pool and actually READ the book you should have no problems! I did quiet well on it.. and it was NOT open book. Then again I did have a good instructor too.

Question:
While taking a class, Is it typical for a LDS to not allow outside gear to be used durring the class?

I'm retaking my open water class (15 year gap in diving) and the isntructors are telling the class that, other than mask, fins, & snorkel, they cannot bring outside gear into the class unless it was purchased in their shop. When questioned on this the gave us a lame excuse saying that their insurance wouldn't cover them and that the instructors needed to be completely familiar with the gear in order to ensure our safety.

Is this typical or just a tactic to get the students to buy gear from their shop?
It's a tactic ... there's nothing in their insurance policy that would prevent you from using your own gear. Having seen the gear some shops use for classes, you'd probably be safer in your own stuff.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks everybody for the great responses and helpful advice.

I finished up the class this past weekend and finally got to the bottom of the gear issue after speaking to one of the managers of the shop. The instructor was wrong in telling me that I couldn't bring my own gear in to the class. Although they don’t encourage you to bring your own gear (unless you buy from them) their policy is that all outside gear needs to inspected by their shop prior to the start of class.

So would I recommend the LDS for the OW class? I would have say yes and here's why....

They did a really great job in teaching the class and making sure everybody was a proficient diver before they would certify anyone. They spent alot of time with my girlfriend doing individual instruction. Even after this they didn't feel my girlfriend was ready for the open water yet so they are having her go through her pool sessions and open water again in the next class cycle free of charge. This is truly appreciated.

Before your open water dives you can elect to take the drysuit certification class. This definitely makes a big difference in comfort and ability to enjoy yourself in the chilly waters up here in the Pacific Northwest. There was another class (different LDS) doing their OW dives next to us in wetsuits and some of the students wouldn't go back in the water for their second dive.

For the advanced OW class I will probably go with semi-private instruction from one our local non-affiliated instructors since my goals for my next level of instruction are different than ones taught in a group setting. That said if you are looking for a good group class in the PNW please feel free to PM me and I will send you their info.

Bill

I just tonight completed my pool dives and written test for my OW class and the drysuit class begins next week. The LDS I am using is an SSI cert. agency. I can tell you that I was never once offered a take home test. I was given the book and did my reading on my own as I understand to be normal with all the agencies. If handing out the test ahead of time is an SSI thing, my LDS is doing the right thing on their own and I for one am glad.

As for using your own gear, several times they have stressed the advantages of learning with what you plan to dive with. The instructor quote was, "I'd rather have you learn how your gear works in the safety of the pool than the first time you dive on your own". They have only asked that they check it out prior to use to ensure safe operation. I don't think anyone would have a problem with this. It's their butt if things go bad. Of course the owner of the shop would rather sell me a new item, but also told me to call him if I saw what looked like a great deal somewhere else to see if the item was junk. Be it problematic or whatever. Doesn't sound like too many LDS's would go that far. Glad mine does. Just my two cents.

I jut got done doing my pool dives, Between 1 and 2 I bought all of my own gear, Zeagle ranger, Dacor viper regs, Gekko computer, AL 80, and some other stuff. Not only did my LDS give me the best deal ever on everything i Got, they helped me get the BC trimmed properly and show me everything on the computer and so much more. It was really nice having my own gear that I now have ready to go for my open water dives next month. just my 2 cents. Nate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom