British Expert Bashes Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvilSlumLord:
I am actually a supporter of what some on SB are advocating where the old school diving training (that took weeks) is brought back. Probably not realistic given the quick gratification expectations people have but might make for more safe divers. I wouldn't mind going and taking that kind of course myself.

I agree with this statement 100%. I received my OW certification from NAUI in 1980. The course was a lot longer than it is now. My PADI AOW course, which I took in 2004 was a matter of a couple of hours reading the book, and then going over q & A. And then, of course the dives & skills.

However, the additional course time would not change the fact that the individual did not disclose his health issues to PADI. Therefore, the instructors would not have had the oportunity to address the risk issues with him.

I feel for him and his family, but diving can be a dangerous sport.

TOM

I've been down the PADI road and since I have become a DM and began working with 3 other certifying agencies I have come to the conclusion it is STILL THE INSTRUCTORS' FAULT. An instructor can still refuse to sign off on any certification level. If the instructor doesn't have the *alls to say no, we will continue to see these accidents. Instructors have to emphasize the dangers of diving and how important it is to bne honest with the instructor and themselves. The blame also has to go on the deceased divers. They lie on med forms, they lie about their skills and lie about their logbooks.

Yeah,

the fault is in the "It can't happen to me", and "lying is OK" mentality that we have developed. There have been more than a few instructors to be surprised when the caca hit the fan and found that the injured person had been less than frank about their medical history. Go figure.

While most everyone would agree that there is nothing advanced about a diver just completing AOW it's hardly the cause of anyone's death. It's just a name (albeit a bad one). There are several of those out there by the way.

Blaming PADI for another agency reducing their standards is silly as well. The guy who was depressed, overweight, had a few drinks the night before, had high blood pressure, lied about it, etc. didn't die from any of those things so why bring those points up. He apparently ascended too fast or held this breath.

It's always better if training is better so these articles are just someone venting their own personal frustrations. There was no statistics to show if there are more deaths now than when standards were higher so therefore there was no valid point to the article.

The greatest number of people that die due to diving accidents are PADI certified divers and that's because PADI is the largest certifying agency. Do the numbers. Let us not start bashing an agency without ALL of the statistics in place.

Stupidity of the diver is not proprietary to any particular agency.

The stupidity of the diver is the sole ownership of the diver.

the K

The Kraken:
The greatest number of people that die due to diving accidents are PADI certified divers and that's because PADI is the largest certifying agency. Do the numbers. Let us not start bashing an agency without ALL of the statistics in place.

Stupidity of the diver is not proprietary to any particular agency.

The stupidity of the diver is the sole ownership of the diver.

the K
I think you make a valid point, divers who misrepresent themselves are responsible for what happens, not the certifying agency. And, as PADI is the largest it stands to reason that proportionately they will have more members involved in accidents.
I think it's reasonable to assume that a diver who ignores such common sense items as not drinking to excess before diving the next day, or diving with as many health problems as these divers had would also ignore safe diving practices such as slow ascent rates and so forth. Would someone with such poor personal habits be more likely to survive diving if the training course were longer, or called by a different name? I think not.
Great divers are almost universal in their passion for knowledge beyond that taught in any dive class, and that is what separates them from those few who die each year. They take personal responsibility for learning the sport and practicing it safely.

Aahhh...I've never heard anyone British (especially my British friends) say anything good about anything American. From the "assistance" America supplied in WW2 to the NFL to hamburgers....none of it's good.

In addition to many great comments about divers not disclosing health concerns, we are forgetting that padi does note that:

"If diving conditions are worse than those in which I am experienced, postpone diving or select an alternate site with better conditions. Engage only in diving activities consistent with my training and experience"

(PADI safe diving practices #2)

I do believe AOW should have a 25 dive minimum, just for good measure. Not that it would help, nobody lies on their logbook...

It is to bad that these things happened.... I will say I have a OW cert from Padi... and will be working on the advanced in a few weeks....but I won't walk away from the AOW thinking I am some kind of advanced diver.... Anyone with common sense knows that it take more than a few dives to make you advanced...I look forward to the day that I have those abilities but until that day I look forward to learning as much as I can from each dive....I will say that my PADI instructor was excellent and he went over the health issues, drinking and diving issues, the hydration issues, the assent issues...etc...but he certainly can't hold my hand during each dive...so if I choose to lie and disregard what I was so eloquently taught...the fault lies with ME....JMHO!!!

The terminology "advanced" is interesting as it relates to one's level of training on a defined scale. Advanced Open Water in PADI terms means a diver has advanced beyond Open Water, that basic level of dive skills that, in theory, makes one trained to a certain level.

I've known divers that advertise proudly that they are advanced divers as in, I'm a superior diver. When asked how many dives they often reply in surprisingly small numbers...but they're advanced.

Dive within your limits and be honest when assessing your abilities. Live longer, dive better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom