Brushing up on my swimming skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need more exercise and I've got a knee that gives me issues sometimes, so the doctor has actually recommended swimming.

It would be valuable to be comfortable with eyes open under water. Makes mask clearing and mask replacement much more fun. So perhaps you should sit on the bottom more?

I need more exercise and I've got a knee that gives me issues sometimes, so the doctor has actually recommended swimming.

Well then, if you also have access to a pool: definitely go for it. If you used to swim at any serious level you won't have any problems with OW requirements, but upping your level of comfort in the water will help a lot. Plus, fin + kickboard drills are very useful for later on when you go diving.

While it is true that you can dive without being a good swimmer, there's no question that swimming regularly, or at least being a confident and competent swimmer, is good for diving. Comfort and efficiency in the water are really important to lowering air consumption, developing fine control over trim and buoyancy, and of course dealing with any sort of task loading or minor emergency in the water.

It's excellent exercise, too, and everyone benefits from that.

Well then, if you also have access to a pool: definitely go for it. If you used to swim at any serious level you won't have any problems with OW requirements, but upping your level of comfort in the water will help a lot. Plus, fin + kickboard drills are very useful for later on when you go diving.

By "seriously," I simply meant going to the pool 3-4 times weekly for an hour's swim. That was 16 years ago. I'm 47. When I was in high school, I was a regular fish, spending all day every day in the summer at the public pool.

Needless to say, I would be kind of slow for the OW swim requirement, although I believe I could do it. From what I understand, any stroke is allowed? I can side stroke easily (it's always been my best stroke)

You can use any stroke or even float for a while, as long as you don't hang on the sides of the pool or walk on the bottom. There is no time limit. After all that is said, there is some discretion allowed to the instructor, at least in the SSI program. I have had swimmers who barely made the 200 yard swim, and some who breezed through it, even doing flip turns. I didn't notice any difference in how well they progressed on diving skills. The real purpose of the swim and the survival float is to make sure that the student is comfortable in the water. Like it or not, sometimes a long surface swim is necessary, such as when the boat breaks down.

One of my favourites surfaces again. Swimming is referred to by some (and I think they're right), as the best exercise you can do to work all the muscles with no pressure on joints (like jogging, etc.). But that's irrelevant. Yes, I agree with those saying swimming and diving are (as I like to call it) distant cousins. I also feel swimming is a Life Skill as they say, that should be known by anyone doing anything in or around "significant" water. All you have to do to qualify for OW is pass the test--whether you have a finely tuned stroke or gut the thing out any way you can, almost killing yourself doing it. If you want to be a "swimmer", take lessons, polish up your stroke(s), click on a link provided on page 1, etc. By the way, whether you are required to do the 200 yard (mtr.) in only a bathing suit or the 300 yd. mask/fin/snorkel is up to the instructor. It is not a "choice" unless that instructor makes it one. I know this from a fair bit of assisting with courses. IMO the 300 is far easier than getting your swim stroke up to par by taking lessons and spending a lot of time (and $?) doing laps regularly. But, I do advise getting a good swim stroke--just because of the Life Skill thing.

If the boat breaks down, go for your fins first, then whatever else that didn't sink (assuming the boat did). As long as you got fins, you're not swimming for real. Though, a nice stroke would for sure come in handy. If you grab your BCD, your REALLY not swimming, you're kicking (well mostly--arms CAN be--at times quite effectively-- used on scuba, despite what they say).

Last edited:
Hi there

Definitely brush up on swimming skills and increase your overall exercise. This will make a big difference to how you feel and cope with the course. Before a trip I always try to get a few more long walks per week in...it makes a big difference.

I hope all goes well.

Best fishes x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom