Bubbles in my stomach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed that each time I have been diving (both years ago at the resort course and during each cert dive), I have burped a lot. It made me nervous at first, because I was afraid I might be getting sick, but nope, it was just gas!LOL

No dont think so Off gasing is nitrogen build up in the blood stream that comes out through the lungs or skin, burping is air/gas built up in the stomach or intestinal lines and has nothing to do with the blood or lungs i beleive.

I'm just finishing up my O/W classes now, and noticed that I seem to be burping a lot, too. Then I figured it out - I do a lot of swallowing to equalize my ears. Not much liquid in a dry mouth to be swallowed, so I'm sure that's how I'm pressurizing my belly. I was even doing it during the day, while practicing ear equalization.

Is burping the same as "OFF GASSING" ? ( Sorry, I had to ask ) :)

bahloola:
No dont think so Off gasing is nitrogen build up in the blood stream that comes out through the lungs or skin, burping is air/gas built up in the stomach or intestinal lines and has nothing to do with the blood or lungs i beleive.

It was a joke (lol) ... I know what "off gassing" is, but I could not resist posing athe question. ( forgive my humor ) ;-) lol

I get students with this problem every so often. Usually it's a case of gulping down the air. You're nervous. Slow down, get in your comfort zone and just breathe as naturally as you can manage.

clarissa1:
I dont think it has to do with food, cause I only ate a cheese sandwich that WHOLE day. It feels like bubbles get trapped in my stomach and thoat but when I'm at bottom I am able to get rid of it, but at the surface it's impossible.
I know if I eat greasy food before a dive (and I put cheese in this category) I have always had issues when diving.

Blox, the lungs don NOT expand during ascent. This is why we breath ambient pressure air, so our lungs can work at their normal volumes at all depths. The only occasion when your lungs expand during ascent is during normal inhalation or worst: holding your breath. We all know what that means.
I think it's possible that maybe Clarissa is swallowing small amounts of air unnoticed. Maybe it has to do with the unfamiliar breathing under water and swallowing because of dry mouth. Nothing to worry about .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom