Buckle Releases with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And why are you so concerned with donning and doffing your backplate underwater? What kind of diving do you expect to be doing?
I have yet to find a reason to do such, and think most any issue can be resolved without removing critical gear.

---------- Post Merged at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Whats the problem with having the BP buckle on the left of the crotch strap with a left release and the weight belt buckle on the right of the crotch strap with a right hand release.
Well, to me, none. Do what works for you.

And why are you so concerned with donning and doffing your backplate underwater? What kind of diving do you expect to be doing?
I have yet to find a reason to do such, and think most any issue can be resolved without removing critical gear.

I believe it is a basic OW skill required for cert by all agencies, if not important why do they require it?

Best advice is just to practice it. Having both there is not a problem. Reversing them is going to cause confusion if you ever need someone to help you in an emergency. All buckles should be right release. The only exception is a non threaded buckle to secure a can light on the right.
It becomes pretty intuitive after a while.

I would move the majority of my weight to weight pockets and only keep a small amount on the belt. After class I would switch to weight pockets exclusively if possible and move 6lbs to 10lbs up to the sta and top cam straps. Depends on how much you have to weare but with sta weight, cam weights and weight pockets you can stash 20lbs easily enough with 1/2 being ditch-able.
My 2 cents, anyway

To test that you can remain calm underwater even without your gear attached to you. It dosen't have too much of a practical perpose other then that.

I want to be able to do that in case of entanglement.

So far, buddies have help resolve any such issues that I couldn't immediately remedy. BUT, I really want to have the ability to quickly and safely doff and don underwater.

I use a rubber weight belt with a wire buckle, so it's easy to tell apart from my BP/W buckle.

FWIW, I'm with smorneau 100% unless I'm in a cave or cavern.

I mount my BP's waistbelt buckle upside down. Why? Because the most common procedure is to tighten your waistbelt at depth. I really don't want to drop my 8# WB down to my crotchstrap just to find out that I grabbed the wrong tab. BTDT, total PIA.

Now, BabyDuck is also dead on. Diving a can light presents a serious problem with respect to having your buckle on the other side. This is truly a problem without a clear solution.

So do what works for you. (Kilili beat me to it.)

flame on...

…I use a rubber weight belt with a wire buckle,...

I used a wire buckle when I was a kid (early 1960s) but it opened way too easily (maybe because I was too skinny… back then). I ended up positioning a weight close to the end when closed and hooking it under it. The initial adjustment was sort of touchy but worked almost like a resistance detent when dialed in. I would have to lift the weight slightly to shut but could pull open easily without fear of accidental release.

Before that weight belts were mostly quick-release double-D-rings. Easy to tighten and super reliable both on and off, but a PITA to buckle in the first place. Forget about loosening.

It is sort of humorous that after all these years we still have not found the perfect weight belt buckle, fin strap, or anything else for that matter.

Move the buckles to either lft or rt...Or any combo that works for you.....Some of this 'stuff' is a carry-over from another time, when there "MAY' have been a valid reason for it......IF, IF, there is a valid safety reason for RT BUCKLE only, some one will chime in.. [but they better have a LOGICAL, SOUND, INTELLIGENT REASON ].....I'd like to hear it.......

Could you get rid of the weight-belt?

Actually that is the route I have taken for another reason and ... I dive in Maine, wet and dry.

First the buckle.... Reverse it if you'd like, that's a big reason you went with a configuration, so you can have it your way. I made mine opposing.

Now with your rig you will next encounter the crotch strap and stir up a whole other age old debate over, under or other wise deal with that ditchable weight belt issue.

I solved it all by going with my DUI weight & trim full time instead of just when diving dry. The crotch strap can go on last since the pocket weights ditch off the side and you can use either the supplied Fastex type buckle or replace it weight a belt clasp of your preferred orientation. If you're buying new the W&T II is done so you will have a conventional belt clasp from the get go. (Actually I need to give credit to a buddy who is a deep thinker when it comes to this stuff.)

Pete

Back
Top Bottom