Buddy positioning - GUE/DIR/IANTD practice and rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience most buddies tend to keep back and to one side. I began long ago to use a mask with side glass so the turn of my head to check my buddy doesn't need to be a big turn. I ask my buddy to stay on my right as my float line is on my left.

Just observing that I have seen OW classes in quarries and ocean in several states with several agencies where the dive turned into instructor swimming ahead and students trailing behind with their eyes locked on the instructor. Usually the class is moving faster than I or most of my buddies normally dive. Explains a lot about how they then dive.
When that is the case you have things like the woman who died in Lake Rawlings not be missed by the instructor or anyone else until it was too late. Single file swims on OW checkouts is the mark of someone wanting to just get the damn thing over with. To hell with the students and their safety is what it sure looks like.

[QUOTE=CptTightPants21;

What if one of you stops or slows down to look at something while the other continues? What if one veers off right or left without the other one noticing?

I'm not portraying myself as the world's greatest buddy, but this is my point. Regardless of formation or viz, these things should NEVER happen.

All of this doesn't sound like that much fun. When I have the flag on a drift in SE FL, all I expect is that the group stay loosely with me and ascend on the flag when indicated.

I am GUE trained. 99% dive without primary light.
Most time I request my buddy to be not back than my shoulders and not more than 1.5 hand distance from me.

I was taught that formation depends on what you are diving. Sometimes shoulder-to-shoulder works, sometimes echelon works, sometimes single file works. It is very much dependent on the terrain. But what is NOT dependent on the terrain is communication and teamwork -- If the team is diving along the hull of a wreck, and the light or viz is low, you might be in single-file, but the rear diver's light is kept largely in view of the front diver. In clear, sunlit water, it's harder; then the team has to stay tighter, and the visual checks have to be more frequent. But you can't expect a team to dive shoulder-to-shoulder along a wall or hull, because then nobody but the inner diver gets to see much.

As Bob says, it's mostly about being predictable. The rear diver in a single-file arrangement in bright water knows he can't stop to look at something without letting the team know, because they will have a hard time seeing he is gone (but when they do, they will be able to see HIM, because the viz is good).

Where you are matters less than that you are where your buddy expects you to be.
Yup, and that both buddies check that regularly, to nip any separation tendencies in the bud and to be able to provide quick assistance in case of a problem. I'll probably have a more in-depth discussion about buddy formation with my IANTD trained buddy on our next dive together, I've been taking things a bit too much for granted so far. Mea culpa, I guess.

Sometimes ... like on a wall dive ... side-by-side isn't practical. As said above. use of dive lights can be helpful ... if your buddy can see your light, they know you're nearby.
Yep, but then your light signaling protocol is interrupted by what we primarily bring our lights for: To look beneath rocks and inside crevices to discover critters. :)

Personally I prefer to avoid the lead/follow approach, since I don't have eyes in the back of my head. But if it needs to happen, I prefer that my "following" buddy be a bit lower than me in the water, rather than a bit higher. That way I can look back and underneath my body ... which is a lot easier than having to stop and turn around all the time.
I prefer the side by side formation, since a quick turn of the head is all that's needed to check on my buddy. I've found that the "look back and underneath" works also for a buddy straight behind, but it requires about a quarter of a "tuck and roll". Not that difficult, but still a bit more than a quick twist of the head. The buddy position I really hate is when he's a couple of meters above and behind me. It's really awkward to look for him, and it sometimes involves so much head twisting that I get a cold splash down behind my neck seal. Ugh.

Some TDI divers seem to prefer the "flock of geese" formation
I've used that formation inadvertently, but I haven't considered it to be a conscious alternative except when I've been in threesomes. Got to think about that one.

Are you saying that you would like your buddy to be directly parallel with you (give or take a ft)
Yes. A slight lead or lag isn't a big deal, but as a rule we try to stay more or less directly parallel.

and how far away?
That depends on the viz, of course. Anything from elbow to elbow (in pea soup viz) to two-three, max four meters (in good viz). More than that makes me slightly uncomfortable, because it increases the risk of buddy separation, and I don't want to cover a longer distance if I suddenly should need my buddy's gas. Often, when diving with my regular buddy, we're so close that we occasionally make slight physical contact, which is nice, since we don't need to actually look to keep track of each others.

In my mind, swimming side by side could in many cases can be harder to keep track of a buddy especially in low vis. What if one of you stops or slows down to look at something while the other continues? What if one veers off right or left without the other one noticing?
The point of staying side by side is to have equal control of each other. In single file, if my (rear) rear buddy stops or slows down, I have a greater risk of continuing without him since I don't check on him as often as if we were side by side. Veering off is just as much of a problem with single file formation as with a side by side formation and is again easier to overlook because it's more of a hassle to check your buddy's position that often.

Besides, one buddy stopping isn't a problem if you keep good buddy contact. You check on your buddy, notice he's stopped and wait for him or turn back to take a look at what he's looking at. Veering off just isn't supposed to happen, and if you do, we'll talk about that when we break down our kits and discuss the dive.

If buddies are swimming single file and get separated (from low vis, etc) it is generally easier to find one another underwater, as long as each maintained their depth, the lead buddy backtracks/stays still and ends up finding his buddy following his "path". With a side by side profile, this would be much harder because you wouldn't know when exactly you lost them or what their trajectory is.
If I lose my buddy due to low viz, my buddy is most probably lost until we surface to recover contact. Looking for a lost buddy in 4m viz is pretty darned difficult, no matter if the formation was side by side or single file.

If you are side by side, what if they want to look at something to their right, but you are blocking the view/way (same goes for your left). What about larger groups (3-4 divers) side by side wouldn't be better then.
If we are side by side, I look to my left and point out the cool stuff for my buddy while my buddy looks to his right and points out the cool stuff for me. I don't look to my right for cool stuff, I look to my right to check my buddy's position. A threesome works just as well, but requires more discipline from the wingmen since the leading center diver has to keep track of buddies both left and right. A group of four is split into two buddy pairs who might well submerge together and try to keep together, but if they get separated it's no big deal since we're two pairs and not a group of four.

It is very much dependent on the terrain.
Yep. Over a fairly level - including slightly sloping - bottom, side by side is my formation of choice. On vertical walls, I prefer a front diver slightly above a rear diver, but the formation may well vary according to who is stopping for a moment to look at stuff. Often, we switch positions more or less like geese do when flying or like bicyclists do on the road.

In my mind, swimming side by side could in many cases can be harder to keep track of a buddy especially in low vis. What if one of you stops or slows down to look at something while the other continues? What if one veers off right or left without the other one noticing? If buddies are swimming single file and get separated (from low vis, etc) it is generally easier to find one another underwater, as long as each maintained their depth, the lead buddy backtracks/stays still and ends up finding his buddy following his "path". With a side by side profile, this would be much harder because you wouldn't know when exactly you lost them or what their trajectory is.
It doesn't always work like that. In my experience, people don't tend to swim in a straight line in low vis ... they might think they are, but they're often veering to one side or another without realizing it, due to the inability to use visual cues to maintain a direct trajectory. Separation in that case becomes somewhat more complicated than simply "turning around" ... particularly if the person turning around hasn't been maintaining a strict compass heading. In this case, it's more likely that these two divers could end up being "ships passing in the night" while looking for each other. In really bad vis, they wouldn't even need to be that far apart and still not see each other.

So how to avoid this happening? Communication ... before you decide to stop or slow down to look at something, get your buddy's attention and signal what you want to do. You should ALWAYS get your buddy's attention before stopping or changing direction ... otherwise the dive turns into a constant push-pull of trying to maintain proximity to each other, which is stressful. Regardless of formation, it's not particularly onerous to make the effort to communicate your intent to your buddy first, THEN proceed with your stop or course change. It just takes a bit of practice ... like every other skill we learn in scuba diving.

If you are side by side, what if they want to look at something to their right, but you are blocking the view/way (same goes for your left).
In more than 3,000 dives in typically low-vis conditions I have never found that to be the case. Of course, everything you can do comes with advantages and drawbacks, and while it might be that something you want to see is "blocked" by your buddy being there, once seen it's a simple matter to move around so that both of you can see it. We do this all the time ... pretty routinely, and without much thought or effort.

What about larger groups (3-4 divers) side by side wouldn't be better then.
Diving in a 3-person team is best accomplished using the "wing on wing" formation ... what someone already referred to as the "flock of geese". In this formation, the "lead" diver is in the center, with a diver on each side and just a bit (less than half a body length) behind. The lead diver can easily turn to see the other two ... or see their lights shining on either side of him ... while the wing divers can easily keep track of the leader, and can see each other over the "lead" diver's back.

When there are more than 3 divers, you break up into "primary" teams of two or three per team. You have a "lead" team, and "follow" team(s) in a single-file pattern, but your primary responsibility for staying together is with your individual team. We don't generally dive as a group where I dive, because it's not real practical in low-vis conditions ... but if we're going someplace specific with more than one team we make sure that (a) everybody knows where we're going and how to get there, and (b) we specify that in the event of separation, if you lose your buddy you follow standard buddy separation protocols, but if you lose the other team(s) you stay with your team and proceed with the dive.

Most of the diving I do with buddies is basically single file, maybe a little higher, lower, off the right, etc, but one buddy is essentially in front and leading. Occasionally, if vis is very good, or if we are following a formation, we might end up side by side. When I am leading, it is easy to duck my head low and see what is behind me. I give the ok sign, get it back, and we continue on our dive.

Part of this is a personal decision, I check with my buddy regularly, but we can be as far apart as visibility and the situation of the dive allow. If you want to have a buddy that is right besides you that is your preference and there is no shame in that. I still would probably dive with you, but you wouldn't be my first choice just because having to constantly worry about staying by your side and maintaining exact pace is more work than I would like to do on a "fun dive". I find that the more important aspect of buddy positioning is that they stay in the same relative position to you while you are swimming. If you want to dive to my right, fine; you want to dive to my left, fine, but stay there so that I know relatively where to find you. There is nothing worse than a buddy who is to the right, then the left, then above me, etc
As with a lot of things it really depends on the circumstances of the dive, what you're comfortable with, and what you've agreed to do. In low-vis conditions your technique would probably result in a lot of buddy separations ... which are stressful at best, and can often result in an aborted dive. In higher vis conditions, it works OK ... as long as the lead diver doesn't mind turning around a lot. But I wouldn't use visibility as my separation limit ... it's common to find yourself pretty far apart when doing that. A more practical limit would be to the extent of how far you could swim if you suddenly went to take a breath off your regulator and it didn't work ... you want you buddy within easy swimming distance in that case, since they're your reserve air supply.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It depends on a couple of things. Who I'm diving and where I'm diving. If I'm diving with a new diver, or a completely unknown diver, it'll be side by side. It will also be an easy site, where diving single file won't happen. If it's a team I normally dive with or another diver I know, then it can either be side by side, or single file. If we're swimming along the hull of a wreck, or dipping in and out, it will most likely be single file. We always dive with torches, and are all quite good when it comes to light discipline. We'll know if there is an issue (signals), or if someone isn't there (the torch light will disappear if someone has wandered off)

You should ALWAYS get your buddy's attention before stopping or changing direction ... otherwise the dive turns into a constant push-pull of trying to maintain proximity to each other, which is stressful. Regardless of formation, it's not particularly onerous to make the effort to communicate your intent to your buddy first, THEN proceed with your stop or course change. It just takes a bit of practice ... like every other skill we learn in scuba diving.

Heh. I just realized that this is, in fact the way I and my regular buddy are behaving. At least on a good day :wink:

And it developed automatically as we dived together, exploring different behaviors to ensure good and stress-free buddy contact :)

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Back
Top Bottom