Buddy wants me to take him night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to try is getting in just as the sun is going down so there's still a little light but as the dive proceeds it will become darker and you will eventually be doing a night dive. Just an easier way to transition for someone with some reservation, if you have any.

A few tips

1. Plan your dive and dive your plan.
2. Review light and hand signals.
3. Charge your gauges so that they illuminate.
4. Always monitor your depth.
5. Monitor your and your buddies air supply.
6. Plan you entry and exit points.
7. Bring a minimum of 2 dive lights per diver. When a main light goes out, end the dive and surface.
8. Do not go inside any overhead environments.
9. If making a shore entry, Be careful of currents since there will be no boat to pick you guys up.
10. Always plan for contingencies and emergencies.

You will die if you go night diving without taking the PADI night diving course.

Not sure what you see the problem as being. If he is a good diver and you are a good diver and have done night dives before, it should be easy. My first night dive was with my brother and sister-in-law. None of us had done a night dive before and we had less than 10 dives each. We chose an easy site and had a ball. Over the past 25 years I have done over 400 night dives, many of which rate in the top 100 of my dives.

When I did my AOW certification I included night dives as one of my specialties. It was one of the few dives that I was a little nervous the day of the dive. I guess part of that is both the unknown of not having a night dive and the darkness itself. But night dives have become my absolute favorite dives.

My daughter did her night dives with only Jr OW certification. The first was a routine night dive in Maui on vacation, the second was the Kona Manta Ray night dive. Even without formal training she did just fine. Since then we did a night dive in Cancun and plan to repeat the Maui night dive.

I would go over basic night diving principles with your buddy. Use a fixed reference point on shore to orient yourself. Using lights, even street lights, that can go off during the dive will disorient you if they aren't there at the end of your dive. If needed use your own fixed lights. Show home how to signal with the light or simply shine the light on your hands for signaling.

Other than that, have fun!

If you are comfortable with the site at night, and comfortable diving with this buddy, then there is no reason why you guys shouldn't try a night dive together. Make it a conservative one. There are already a ton of good, practical tips for making it a good experience in the posts above.

I didn't like night diving at first, but have come to love it. Hopefully, he will, too!

Both of you should make the dive earlier in the day, so as to be familiar with the site before then following all the other advice found above.

I have a friend that is OW certified and wants to go to spring with me and do a shallow night dive. We will be in 30' and I am a PADI MAster diver. I have dove with him before and he is a good diver. Should I be concerned to take him and just cancel the dive?

How much experience does your buddy have? Have you dived with him before?

R..

I have a friend that is OW certified and wants to go to spring with me and do a shallow night dive. We will be in 30' and I am a PADI MAster diver. I have dove with him before and he is a good diver. Should I be concerned to take him and just cancel the dive?

Could your buddy safely get back to the surface and the shore if you became separated in the dark?

Could you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom