Buddy wants me to take him night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The earlier comment about doing a first dive in daylight is very important, it make the site familiar and helps with night navigation.

Night diving requires closer buddy pairing.

Also, with night dives, I use 3 lights. Two lights to see by and a tank marker light (either red or green. I find green shows up better if water is not as clear). If your buddy's light fails you know where they are even before they get out their back up light. ALso if the water is very clear, and the moon is out, and you are shallow, by previous agreement you may shut off both lights for a few minutes. Very cool to look up at a moon through the water. The tank marker lights help to quickly keep track of where each other is.

------------------
Does the spring have a "cave" that is easy to avoid during day that one of you might accidentally enter at night?

Master Diver :shakehead: Sometimes it is better left unsaid.

Bob
----------------------------------
A nod, you know, is as good as a wink to a blind horse. Ritson

When I was playing DM I took students on their first night dives regularly. Good fun - especially in October near Halloween when we took them out to the old motor boat. It had a mannequin at the wheel. Which required two things when the students spotted it with their lights. Keeping a good gasp on them so they would not bolt to the surface. And to watch for a reg to be spit out (usually mine from laughing so hard). Funny what diving in the dark does.

All that aside, let me add one additional item to prepare your dive buddy for - worms that are attracted to lights. They get really annoying however they can be feed to coral.

Is it odd that i find my buddy easier to follow in a night dive as their light is always on...

I think just go ahead and and follow the advice of diving the area before and ensure you and your buddy have a good plan, marked or easily located exits etc and you should be fine... unless you know the buddy has some other issues

Agreed. I teach a Night/Low Vis Specialty through SDI but in reality it is geared more towards low vis. That is what we have around here. Noon dives can seem like night when the area is silted up by poorly trained OW divers and the lousy DM's leading them.
So in addition to lights we work on touch communications. Use of lines, reels, and spools. Just because the vis is bad does not mean you call a dive. You just use different tools. Night dives in clear water are no more a big deal than dives done during the day. And agree with phoenix31tt, in clear water it is easier to keep track of a buddy. And new ones are less likely to wander off. Especially if you tell them a Great White has been in the area or in freshwater a big gator or anaconda. Even if you are north of where they would ever range. Helps to keep em close. And on shore dives you just drop or hang a strobe to find the way home. People make a bigger deal out of night dives than they really are when it comes to risk. More risk of getting hurt on land gearing up and stepping on something sharp.

Sorry Jim, there's got to be a better way of encouraging your buddy to stick close on a night dive than making them scared if their own shadow. Recipe for disaster if you ask me. OK you didn't ask me but whatever. Leave out the grest whites and the crocks. Stress and stick to the other points that relate to buddy communication, how the dive will be conducted, lights, etc.

My first night dive was a bonus dive during my OW check out dives. Not all that complex if conditions are appropriate. Why not? Aside from light, are the conditions what both are familiar with? Again, do it and have fun.

NO! You must go to your nearest PADI store, empty your wallet, and become certified as "Night Diver". Otherwise, you will DIE!!!

If you practice good skills, good planning, and take it easy, I'm sure the both of you will do just fine. Go over some skills, signals, and plan the dive well. Dive it in the daylight, note some landmarks, and enter when there's still some light.

Night Diver is just another class for you to Put Another Dollar In. If you read over the chapter in your Advanced OW manual, you'll know just about everything there is to know.

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 05:34 PM ----------

You will die if you go night diving without taking the PADI night diving course.
Damn it....You beat me too it...:D

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 05:38 PM ----------

Especially if you tell them a Great White has been in the area or in freshwater a big gator or anaconda.

Good point. Does anyone have one of those rubber snakes....:D

Even if you are north of where they would ever range.
Northern Pike, Catfish, and Snapping Turtles all work equally well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom