BuddyBuzz - NEED OPINIONS FOR THIS NEW DEVICE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would need to see a prototype because the 'real estate' on my arms/wrists is already at a premium and for the odd occasion I miss out on seeing a fish I don't think I would bother wearing another wrist device. I don't deny having a buzz as a quick attention grabber is not a bad idea, but a whole watch just for this purpose seems excessive. For me that's a cool additional function to have on say my compass or dive computer, but I wouldn't wear a watch just for the sole purpose of getting a buzz once in a while. I kind of agree with the previous comment that it's trying to solve a problem I don't have.

It would need to be cheap, but that opens a can of worms because most divers I know like to wear quality well designed and tested items, preferably from a well known brand. Or is that just me?.

I think a better use would be for a DM to have a master unit and divers have smaller receivers. I HATE diving with a group and hearing incessant tank banging because people can't be bothered to pay attention to the DM. Unfortunately not diving with a group isn't always an option.

I have found it sometimes quite difficult to get someone's attention, when diving in warm, clear water, where dive lights aren't great signaling devices. At the price point you describe, I would find this intriguing, actually. (It might also be very useful when diving with novices or people with poor situational awareness.). I certainly wouldn't disdain it.

Truly get some advance diving class and learn diving (also your buddy too) - you will learn underwater communication much and skills to cooperate , much better than any silly and noisy device.

I have seen that book useful or not decide by yourself ( fish signals ?) Scuba Diving Hand Signals - Underwater communication for recreational scuba divers , Scuba Diving Hand Signals: Underwater Communication Pocket Companion for Recreational Scuba Divers: Lars Behnke: 9781502488480: Amazon.com: Books

Read the following with a calm, friendly, conversational tone. Insert a few smiles, inquisitive looks, and a couple of laughs. That's how it is intended-----

Um.... I agree with learning more skills, better communication, and improving buddy cooperation.

However... I question the relevance of most of your comment. Underwater communication with hand signals or picture books require the attention of both parties. If your buddy is not looking at you, you can't communicate. Humans have about 190deg of vision. With a mask, that drops to maybe 90deg. Frequently, it is very hard to get the attention of another diver. Until you do, even if you both know sign language, you can't communicate.

So, how do you get the attention of your buddy?

1. poke, grab, pull, or other tactile method - this is a fine method. It has it's limitations. You must be close enough to reach out and touch them. Do you really always dive within an arm's length of your buddy? Really, be honest. If you did stay so close, you would be colliding with them frequently and generally be a nuisance. Usually, a good buddy is within a couple of fin kicks distance. That's good, but still annoying if you want to say "hey, look at that fish". Personally, I don't bother with this method unless the communication needed is important, like "Dude, your crack is showing", or "Time to head back".

2. make noise - this is a fine method, depending on the situation. When diving with a group, it is less than optimal, since you become trained most noises are not your buddy, but someone else trying to attract the attention of their buddy. DMs not withstanding, this method works best when diving alone with buddy, rather than a group.

3. motion - this method sucks. With hopes that you might be withing the 90deg field of view of your buddy, wave your hands or arms frantically, hoping they notice. Or, wait for the moment when your buddy is being a good buddy and checking on you. BTW, how often does a good buddy really check? Once a min? Once every 30 sec? Be honest.

So, the device described by the OP is a method to get the attention of your buddy. Nothing more. It is not intended to enhance communication in any way. It is simply a device to quickly and calmly get your buddy to look at you. After which, real communication may proceed.

After all this, I have an idea. Is recorded speech recognizable underwater? Maybe some frequency adjustments would make it more intelligible. Why not have a waterproof device with 5 playback buttons for pre-recorded messages. Wonder what I would record...

"Hey Bob, look over here" - Bob, of course, is my buddy
"Hey Everyone! Look at that" - point while you play it multiple times
"HELP, I've fallen and I can't get up" - just for fun
"Time to turn around and head back" - good for a DM to use with group
"Hey Bob, your crack is showing" - no explanation needed

Most of my diving in the ocean is with viz that is 30-80 ft. When buddy diving with regular buddies we are close enough to keep track of each other. Say 10 ft or so sometimes up to 20. There is no DM leading a larger group. We are looking for both big stuff and small stuff. But it can be a pain getting the other persons attention sometimes unless it is really important. I am always in a solo configuration so I have pony, etc.

Less of a need with newbie instabuddies. They are usually on me like a remora.

I would need to see a prototype because the 'real estate' on my arms/wrists is already at a premium and for the odd occasion I miss out on seeing a fish I don't think I would bother wearing another wrist device.

No one said you have to wear it on your wrist, there are other places that might catch your attention even faster.

Bob
---------------------------------------
There are more ways than one to skin a cat, however the cat never likes it.

.......Hence, the BuddyBuzz. It’s a small watch-size device that you and your buddy both have, allowing you to buzz (think of your phone’s text vibration) their wrist without obnoxiously clanking on your tank or swimming all the way over to them. It will allow you to communicate with your buddy(ies) underwater, while still maintaining the tranquility of scuba diving......
Do you mean the Buddy Watcher?

I do not believe I would buy this - first I dont mind not seeing every nook, cranny and critter that my buddy may find fascinating even at the risk of missing something cool - second not only would I have to buy one but any of my future buddies would also need a corresponding one... So I dont see myself buying 6 of these to make sure a group of us all have one if we dove together...

I have found it sometimes quite difficult to get someone's attention, when diving in warm, clear water, where dive lights aren't great signaling devices. At the price point you describe, I would find this intriguing, actually. (It might also be very useful when diving with novices or people with poor situational awareness.). I certainly wouldn't disdain it.

I don't disdain it... I just wouldn't buy one.

I think a better use would be for a DM to have a master unit and divers have smaller receivers. I HATE diving with a group and hearing incessant tank banging because people can't be bothered to pay attention to the DM. Unfortunately not diving with a group isn't always an option.
ugh, if an OP ever insisted I wear such a thing and get buzzed by the DM I'd find another op.

However, I'd often love to zap my buddy...

Back
Top Bottom