Buford Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CHSDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone recommend a guide who would lead several tec certified divers in a trip through Buford Sink?

Tec certified but not cave certified? If you don't have the cave certification, you'll need a certified cave *instructor* to be your guide (basically up-levelling you by one, since that's what they would be doing if they were actually instructing you). Unless you were just planning to stay in the cavern zone, which you're able to do with just open water certifications (though some might recommend the cavern certification still). If one of those assumptions was wrong, I do know a couple non-instructor guides

Tec certified but not cave certified? If you don't have the cave certification, you'll need a certified cave *instructor* to be your guide (basically up-levelling you by one, since that's what they would be doing if they were actually instructing you).

I don't think that Buford wouldn't qualify as an Intro/Apprentice level cave.

Granted things change daily and I often only find out about line changes by running into them. But as far as I know there is no permanent guideline in Buford. I don't think much of the cave is above 130ft depth limit.

I don't think that Buford wouldn't qualify as an Intro/Apprentice level cave.

Granted things change daily and I often only find out about line changes by running into them. But as far as I know there is no permanent guideline in Buford. I don't think much of the cave is above 130ft depth limit.
There is a permanent guideline installed. Starts around 135' tied to a cinder block.
I know whenever I need to finish a course there because of sea conditions, I have to apply for a waiver from TDI to teach in the Cavern Zone above 130'.

That's fair, I admittedly haven't been to Buford myself but just knew that some portion of it was "cave".

Am I correct that there is a pretty large cavern area worth seeing? Divers are cavern certified.

Buford is basically a large “boot” in shape with a large cavern zone down to 130’ that then dips to around 150’ back in the “toe” area of the boot. You will lose natural light back there and I would consider that area a cave by definition. And due to the depth, I wouldn’t go back there without trimix if you want to be smart about it. The cavern itself is huge and worth seeing and can be done on nitrox.

The cavern would be our plan. Maybe a guide is unnecessary, but it’s nice to have someone familiar with a new site, especially one back in a swamp.

Any leads are appreciated.

The cavern would be our plan. Maybe a guide is unnecessary, but it’s nice to have someone familiar with a new site, especially one back in a swamp.

Any leads are appreciated.
It is probably the prettiest cavern dives in the US. It is a very scenic spot and I enjoy decoing on the 20' ledge watching the free divers do their thing.
I recommend you go during the week, it gets rather crazy on weekends.

Reach out to Bird's Underwater in Crystal river about a guide. Bill should be able to help you out.

I am not qualified to guide you, but I frequent there and it is very beautiful. Major life milestone in my opinion. I wish you luck in coordinating your trip. For your first time definitely try to get a day with strong sunshine and not during the midsummer when the rivers brown it up. During the cold season the water looks awesome, 80-100ft vis, but Florida has had an unusually cloudy and rainy winter this year. Hasn't impacted the vis, but you don't get the same kind of spectacular sunbeams in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom