Buford Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sent you a DM.

(There IS permanent line, as folks have noted, starting at about 120’; it forms a loose circuit from the left to right side of the cavern, dropping down to about 145’ at the hawk with a further dip down to around 165’ at the deepest if you keep following it back; there’s some fluctuation depending on water levels. There is not a posted cave sign but probably should be…max depth without entering serious overhead is closer to 100-120’; the freedivers will drop down to 80’ or so, which is pretty incredible to watch)

Buford is basically a large “boot” in shape with a large cavern zone down to 130’ that then dips to around 150’ back in the “toe” area of the boot. You will lose natural light back there and I would consider that area a cave by definition. And due to the depth, I wouldn’t go back there without trimix if you want to be smart about it. The cavern itself is huge and worth seeing and can be done on nitrox.
I would amend that you can get to about 180’ at the “toe” and it is definitely dark at that point lol

There is no absolutely need for a guide at Buford now especially since they added the walkway. If divers are tech trained / cavern trained, just dive within your limits/comfort zone. There are plenty of open water divers and free divers that dive way beyond their limits there but that's another story.

It is a very pretty cavern when the visibility is good. Just make sure you try to get a current visibility report before trekking out there. Obviously the visibility can easily impact what is considered cavern vs. cave especially if/when visibility is poor. Also bring a cart/two wheeler.

Unless you want one.
Yes I thought that was obvious. If someone wants a guide then they should absolutely hire one. I'm 100% not opposed to anyone wanting to hire a guide if makes their diving experience better.

I'm just merely pointing out that in my humble opinion one is not required depending on your experience or comfort level.

I would amend that you can get to about 180’ at the “toe” and it is definitely dark at that point lol

My log shows my deepest dive there to be around ~160' so I must not have been digging in the right place LOL

My log shows my deepest dive there to be around ~160' so I must not have been digging in the right place LOL
I only got to about 167. I suspect that the silt level may vary depending on storm patterns, either that or I'm oblivious to another section down there.

162.1 is all I did last time
Screenshot_2024-02-21-17-34-47-054.jpg

Looking back at my logs, ive gone just past 160’ a few times is all, but i still recall a tunnel opening that continued below me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom