Buford

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes? What does that have to do with it

If you aren't Cavern or Cave trained, you shouldn't dive in Buford Sink. Your profile doesn't say... :palmtree: Bob

I am trained for it.

Dove it today. Swamp was very dry. Never got past ankle deep in the mud. No mosquitos until late afternoon. Incredible dives. Viz could not be better.

Dove it today. Swamp was very dry. Never got past ankle deep in the mud. No mosquitos until late afternoon. Incredible dives. Viz could not be better.

Good information, thanks. How are the markers? Still fairly visible?

There were several pink ribbons in the trees that made the direction pretty clear. At the end of the trail, we chose to bow out to the right and come back in a little downstream of the sink. We found this much drier for some reason.

Alright so this has been bugging me all week and I doubt it will help because the divers who do this probably aren’t on the cave diving boards...

I was amazed at how pristine and untouched Buford was. I also noticed that it was extremely fragile. Half of the appeal for me diving it was the trek through the swamp and then coming to this virgin looking swamp with crystal clear blue water in the middle. While diving, my buddy and I made perfect efforts to keep this place clean and untouched. We entered downstream, and we entered with absolutely perfect clear water. We didn’t hit anything with our fins or blow any silt anywhere granted it’s a big place). We could see the light rays shooting down to the bottom. When resting on the surface another group of 3 divers was getting ready to come dive it. From the equipment they had, and their demeanor I could tell they were not very skilled divers. We got out, walked back; put on the 108’s and headed back through the swamp. (We also figured out that the leader stays drier while walking through the swamp). As we got back into the water and were going over the dive plan, the 1st of the 3 divers came out. 3 min later, the 2nd one came out with a “shell souvenir”. They said they were heading over “to that Eagles thing” next and we were welcomed to join them. I gave them the deep be careful, someone just died speech and that they probably wouldn’t get past the solution tube. (They also had no reels and I definitely didn’t even see 2 lights pp). We then submerged and when we got near the opening it was a MESS. We lost surface light around 50 ft now instead of the 130 before…It was cloudy silt everywhere and I don’t even want to know if anything was kicked or grabbed onto. Oh ya and at 20-30 ft, we found the 3rd diver tangled up in the mainline by his yoke. My buddy noticed it first sprinted over to him, 7 ft hose in hand, and dropped his deco bottle that we in the midst of hanging. He was able to free him after a couple minutes, and the guy immediately bolted for the surface ignoring any safety stop, flailing all around. Nice of his 2 buddies to have left him down. We enjoyed this dive much less because of the conditions and also spent 5 min looking for the deco bottle he had dropped that made its way down to around 80 ft.

This was appalling to know that there are divers at these fragile systems with these types of skill sets. I really wish more people would practice to be better divers. Every time I Dive I am working hard practicing techniques and was proud to leave that system in perfect condition after the 1st dive.

PLEASE if you are diving caverns (cavers know better I hope) take the time to be a better diver. That hole has been there for who knows how long and it may have a permanent scar there. Lastly, I encourage that some gold line be put in as the main line. Right now it looks like #24 white. This guy found a way to get stuck in it.

Everyone can teach themselves to be stable and clean in the water.
I’ve seen this at other sites as well and I’ll admit that when I first got OW I looked just like them. Difference is by my 6th dive I decided to dedicate every time I was in the water to getting better. I don’t see enough of this. My buddy tells me he felt a touch out of trim or I felt a couple fin kick were out of place on the dive I’m pissed. The more I dive, the worse I feel about my skills. I want perfection. More people should.

One way to keep traffic down is not to discuss a site by its name or give any other info that will allow someone to find its location. I learned about Buford by the internet, and I know most everyone else on THIS board did as well. If a site like this is going to stay pristine, it needs to be much harder to find information on... so don't discuss it on open forum.

That being said, according to alot of people who've been diving this thing for years, its starting to really show some abuse.... which is sad.

There is a ton of info on this particular site online already though. Even when I got there and was paying my 3.00 fee, both hunters I talked to knew exactly how to find it and gave me advice. So I guess if you can get to chass then you can find buford.

Is it more reasonable to force less traffic, or to tell people be careful when diving it.. The 1st would be definately more effective, but I'd be a hypocrit in suggesting it because I only found it from this board and map from tampadiving , and am really very grateful that I experienced it...

I read that posting on Walters site. that said no way to get there.

I was there the day before that post and I had no problems.

And I am going to ask this because he keeps posting. Why is a cavern diver doing repetitive dives at eagles nest? Can cavern divers do this dive?

Now, that is an interesting question. Why do you need to know? Of what purpose is such a question?

The only reasons I can deduce is that you wish to shed grief upon them. However, as much as we may not agree with one tackling something we judge to be out of his or her ability range, is it not their choice?

As much as we might wish no one would do stupid things, such things happen in all activities, risky activity or not.

The greatest gift one can give is the right for one to make his or her own mistakes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom