Building a dive computer for a school assessment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding a school project: I think a dive computer is a bit to ambitions (since it also involves a lot of questions beyond programming like: How are you planning to make a box that is try and pressure resistant while having sensors exposed to the outside and also a way to recharge it).....
for me, this is actually the most interesting part of the project.
i would skip the "dive computer" portion as trying to evaluate the algorithm would be problematic. an automatic electronic bottom timer / depth guage would be sufficient to demonstrate / evaluate as a class project.

a physical design based upon the uwatec aladin (oil filled) should be fairly easy to achieve.

In that case, I would suggest another project: There are already so many dive computers/electronic depth gauges. But what would I would like to see would be a data logger for cylinder pressure: Small enough it attaches to the first stage of your cylinder (like the radio pressure sensors) but without the need of a hose or radio connection. Just for logging your air consumption. You would later read it out together with your dive computer (for the depth profile), the synchronization of the two devices would be time based. The user interface could be minimal, you don't need contact to the water.

Some time ago, I seriously thought about building this myself but dropped the idea upon finding out that the high pressure sensor that would be needed by itself has a price tag of about 120-150$ and my estimate was that this would be an interesting device for about that price (but then with electronics --- sufficiently cheap usb data loggers are available --- and housing).

Back
Top Bottom