Bunaken Advise needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneeDr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We finally have tickets to Manado, Sulawasi. December 1st, 2010. We are thinking about staying at either Cha Cha Resort on Bunaken Island, or Santika on the mainland. Any advise on comparing the two?

Anyone stayed at Living Colours, Bunaken?

Another option would be to stay at Bangka Island at Mimpi Indah resort. We like diving in small groups, and short times to dive sites. Love coral reef diving versus muck.

The weather may be an issue in December. Any comments on that? I find that it is the beginning of the rainy season.
Thanks!

when i stayed with bastianos i had a amazing time, the service was brilliant. i didnt dive in a group bigger than 3/4 including the guide..

I've been to Bunakan twice and dove with Living Colors both times. They are great, and there is a very nice reef out front for sunset snorkling ;-).

Bunaken Cha Cha and Living Colours, on Bunaken, have good reputations, as does Mimpi on Bangka. Regardless of Santika's reputation, I would personally not stay on the Sulawesi mainland and have to "commute" to most of my dives. Bunaken and Bangka are almost 30 miles apart, and both have very high quality diving. One bonus with Bangka is that you get the Pulisan dive sites on the north tip of Sulawesi 3 miles away. If you like coral, and want a variety of dive sites close by, stay on Bunaken or Bangka, and plan your dives around your island, with maybe a one-day trip to the other island.

Last edited:
Try Minahasa Lagoon further down south at the mainland. There you get a nice variation of divesites, Poopoh has muck and coral dives and are of high quality, and we will take you to Bunaken and the whole Manado area.

i would recommend to make a combination. stay in bunaken island, closed to the spots and afterwards move/transfer to bangka. we, bluebaydivers at sahaung/bangka have a speed boat to do these transfers comfortable. if there would be a day trip to bunaken, you also can combine transfer with diving.
anke

In December the mainland of Manado can be hit by the then starting North West winds. The trip to Bunaken can be rough and the dive sites on the mainland too choppy.
Not many people seem to know this but the South East coast off Lembeh island offers great diving with excellent viz, much fish and coral diving. Very calm and clear that time of year.

Indah, We were a bit worried about the weather in early December. That is why we are strongly considering staying on Bunaken Island versus the mainland. And we are hoping for some luck with the weather since we cannot go any other time of the year.

And Yes, we have considered just going to Lembeh. Can you tell us more about your experience there? Do you own a place there? Where could we stay and dive coral reef in addition to the muck dives?

Anke, Next trip we will plan to stay on Bangka and will keep your place in mind for a quote. Thanks for the info.

Kathy, Have you ever been there in December? How were the beds at Living Colours. Several Trip Advisor members said it was an uncomfortable place to sleep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom