Bungee Rigging my Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lose one pin on the standard strap, the unit is gone.

With the bungee rigged that way, you need to lose BOTH pins.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Why would the bungee be MORE secure than a standard 'watch type' strap?
If a pin falls out with the strap, the strap is only connected to the computer by one end, and the computer can be lost. With two bungee loops, if a pin is lost, both bungee loops still pass under the second pin, and the computer won't fall off your wrist. If one bungee loop breaks, you still have the other loop passing through both pins.

Plus it's depth compensating.

mavericks idea is interesting. I'm going to look at my straps and see if I have the balls to cut them off. Convenience aside, I wonder sometimes though, if this OEM wriststrap failure story is a SCUBA "urban legend". How many of you have actual stories about this. My guess is that a lot more masks are lost off peoples heads!:D :D

1/8 inch bungee is the right size for this unit.

For the record, some of the aftermarket "watch" style straps like the Waterborne, attach to each pin independently, so they have some redundancy beyond the OEM straps as well.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Cool beans....what size bungee?

I think you gotta ask yourself, "Did he fire six shots, or was it only five? . . . Do ya feel lucky? . . . Well do ya?" :) I'm sure you're not a punk, Jeff, so I'll leave that part out. :wink:

Dirty Harry jokes aside, I don't know anyone personally that's had a strap fail on them, but I don't want to be the first known "Bye Bye CPU" victim on a piece of kit this pricey. :D

Incidentally, for anyone that tries the pure-bungee route I outlined, you can change back at anytime.

JeffAustin once bubbled...
mavericks idea is interesting. I'm going to look at my straps and see if I have the balls to cut them off. Convenience aside, I wonder sometimes though, if this OEM wriststrap failure story is a SCUBA "urban legend". How many of you have actual stories about this. My guess is that a lot more masks are lost off peoples heads!:D :D

lost a wristwatch. We assume it was from a pin failure - we never found it to be certain.

I changed mine to bungee mostly for the convience of getting it on and off, especially with the my drysuit.

Yea Jeff I had to talk myself into cutting those straps (not as much as installing the P-valve but thats another thread) because once you do there is no going back. I just made sure that the length I left was exactly what I wanted before I cut them. You also want to be careful with drilling the holes. I did that with a hand drill and started with a small bit and was very careful about how close I was to the edge of the strap as well as the hole next to it.

I know one guy who messed up drilling the holes (he used a cordless drill with a dull bit) and ended up tearing the strap and had to buy a new one.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
I'm using the long stock strap, which is fine for my drysuit for now, but will be checking out the Dive Rite bungee straps at Fill Express in FL when I go over in a few weeks - someone posted a pic of them here a while ago. Haven't seen them on the Dive Rite site though.

Is this the bungee strap by any chance http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/nitekaccessories.shtml

Here is the strap from the diverite site http://www.diverite.com/products/nitek/access.htm

Back
Top Bottom