Bungee Rigging my Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey,
I want to rig my square Suunto wrist compass this way...has anyone do this? I think the bottom of it has screws that come out to take off that sorry web strap that always seems to loosen up on its own on me.

I have seen others who use rubber surgical tubing instead. Any advantage of one over the other?

I have done the same with my Vyper for about a year now.
I have left the boot on as a 3rd redundancy, If BOTH pins break, the boot is still held onto the wrist via the bungee. The Gauge sits pretty tight in the boot, and takes a bit to get it out, hence the triple redundancy.
The chance of both pins breaking, and the gauge being extracted from the boot without me knowing are pretty slim.

Dave

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Hey,
I want to rig my square Suunto wrist compass this way...has anyone do this? I think the bottom of it has screws that come out to take off that sorry web strap that always seems to loosen up on its own on me.

I have seen others who use rubber surgical tubing instead. Any advantage of one over the other?
Very simple, works very well.

First tiem I did it, I used 1/4 Bungee. It made the bezel too hard to turn.
Second time, i used 1/8. Big improvement.
Be carefull not to strip the threads in the plastic when your tightening it up, slow and easy, a little bit at a time.
I also filed out the slots where the bungee passes through, not necessary, but I felt picky that day.

Regarding the SK-7. The strap mine came with has a small rubber grommet at the end to prevent the strap from actually coming out of the connector end. It opens wide enough to fit over gloves and I have tried pulling the grommet through and it would take a pretty hard pull to rip it through. Is this a new design, or are you all replacing this seemingly well-designed strap to be more DIR?

Maverick, you are saying that you cut the straps short, then drilled holes in the straps and attached bungie to the short straps, correct? This doesn't eliminate the loss potential of breaking a pin. You have created an easier to don vytec, but not decreased your loss potential. And if you ever want to go back to the original straps, oops :wacko: you cut them.

Everyone, Please Sign The Divers Union Petition Already!! www.diversunion.org

SMKChef once bubbled...
Regarding the SK-7. The strap mine came with has a small rubber grommet at the end to prevent the strap from actually coming out of the connector end. It opens wide enough to fit over gloves and I have tried pulling the grommet through and it would take a pretty hard pull to rip it through. Is this a new design, or are you all replacing this seemingly well-designed strap to be more DIR?
Everyone, Please Sign The Divers Union Petition Already!! www.diversunion.org

That grommet is a pain in the butt with dry gloves unless you leave the compass permanently attached to your drysuit.The band doesnt open up wide enough to fit over the rings which means removing and replacing the grommet.Plus i dont fancy the hook system on the strap.If the little plastic hook breaks or comes undone kiss my compass good bye.I know the grommet will keep it there but i lost mine after having to remove it so many times :D

lal7176 once bubbled...

That grommet is a pain in the butt with dry gloves unless you leave the compass permanently attached to your drysuit.The band doesnt open up wide enough to fit over the rings which means removing and replacing the grommet.Plus i dont fancy the hook system on the strap.If the little plastic hook breaks or comes undone kiss my compass good bye.I know the grommet will keep it there but i lost mine after having to remove it so many times :D

Got ya. I didn't consider the diameter of drysuit glove attachment rings. And removing that grommet would NOT be worth the trouble.

JeffAustin once bubbled...
I wonder sometimes though, if this OEM wriststrap failure story is a SCUBA "urban legend". How many of you have actual stories about this. My guess is that a lot more masks are lost off peoples heads!:D :D

In my rescue class, one of the instructors lost his computer...our "victim search" with no bubbles became a search for "Mr. Suunto" who is a very short diver with black/grey gear. Unfortunately Mr. Suunto has not been recovered. This is the second computer this instructor has lost, the other one was on a wall dive with a 750foot bottom. Nope, this one was not recovered either. All I have to say is OUCH! on the wallet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom