Buoyancy problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree to the uselessness of the position and what other posters have said before. But to address the pain issue: Does your pain start under water, or several hours afterwards? The point is: is it caused by an overstretching of your eardrums due to uncontrolled depth changes while falling back, or is it a bacterial inflammation?

The pain starts underwater, and stops whem I go up for a while (I'm in a swimming pool). But in the days afterwards it becomes very painfull to the touch.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2014 at 11:07 PM ----------

i use that move all the time. Stretches my back and keeps my legs from cramping at a safety stop. I usually grab the tips of my fins and stretch. Bob up and down while you breath. If you flip to your back, try moving your weight more to the stomach or add some in the bc front pockets. It's not a totally crap maneuver, just one you have to practice at. I think padi should give a card for such skills, call it underwater yoga posing. I'll sometimes even scull with my hands and do little somersaults. It looks ridiculous but is fun, and that's what diving is about. Now if only someone could teach me to blow air rings when i exhale.

lol ... :d

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2014 at 11:13 PM ----------

Here in Portugal we all use steel tanks ( cylinders ) can´t see the `` buddha ´´ being much use though, allthough I will try it next dive just for fun, as you know weather in Portugal at the moment is not great...

Good luck..

Hi !

Well, the weather has been good for diving for most days in Sesimbra ... :)

I find that I have problems with buoyancy right after lunch....when I eat to many baked beans and hot dogs. For some reason I can't keep my butt down.

I have a dive buddy that does the "Buda" position all the time...but he wears a shorty and used Aluminum tanks.

I note that the woman in the picture has her hands behind her. I wonder if she is sculling to keep her balance. While it is interesting to be able to do this it certainly isn't a requirement to be a good diver to be able to do it. I also wonder if given that women have more fat and often more fat on their anteriors than me whether that may be tipping you over. It's a weighting issue, but you'd never weight yourself in that way if you are really diving.

I find that I have problems with buoyancy right after lunch....when I eat to many baked beans and hot dogs. For some reason I can't keep my butt down.

Wow, do you eat beans and hot dogs before diving ? :D

Ok, seriously, thanks to everyone, I will certainly follow your opinions and experience. Interesting skill (or not), but not to worry too much, and keep practising "flat, horizontal".

I just completed a trim and buoyancy skills workshop last month. The Buddha position was never mentioned. The main goal of the workshop was to figure out my proper weighting and where to place my weights to achieve good trim. Once we had that figured out we went into hovering then maintaining trim while diving. During this time I was also learning to properly frog kick which I found that I really like. Also, in my OW class there was never any mention of the Buddha position. Before learning what it was like to be in trim and neutral I thought I was enjoying diving but now I like it much more. I would go for the horizontal trim and neutral buoyancy along with good propulsion techniques, you will feel a lot better in the water.

The Buddha hover is just bullcrap. You will not normally do it on any dive. It demonstrates very little.

On any dive do you normally need to "toss your mask in the deep end of the pool, swim 40 ft underwater to it with fins on and put the mask on, and then have the mask clear and the snorkel breathable when your head breaks the surface?"

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...8-how-expell-water-your-mask.html#post7266560

Guess that's "just bullcrap" that "demonstrates very little" too?

totally useless, don't bother. Flat, horizontal, no movement. Master that.

I'm not lobbying for it as a de rigueur training approach - and of course students need to leave class with horizontal trim dialed in - but let's not be ridiculously dogmatic. Especially with someone new in the water. And as an instructor I would suggest you think twice about advising a student to "not bother" working on a skill the way their instructor teaches them unless they are being asked to do something dangerous. Far better to help them understand how to do it the way their instructor is teaching it... and then advise them that there are other ways as well. It's challenging enough for many students. They don't really need an anonymous stranger 10,000mi away - as well-intentioned as that stranger may be - undermining their instructor.

Assuming weight and gear configuration don't preclude it, the Buddha hover position very effectively demonstrates exactly what the hover exercise is SUPPOSED to demonstrate... the relationship between inhaling/exhaling and a diver's position in the water column.

The neutral hover is not a trim or propulsion skill. It is a buoyancy skill. Archimedes doesn't care what position a student is in when that "Eureka!" moment hits them... why should their instructor? (See what I did there?)

diver-hover.jpg

Frankly - while I have never found myself doing a Buddha hover on a "real" dive - it is kind of fun. And many students seem to enjoy it. Especially kids and folks who struggle with happy-feet and hand-sculling early on. Taking fin-tips in-hand deprives the student of the ability to use either - which immediately makes the point for a student who insists that they can't hover without sculling. (Never mind if you have TWO of them in the same pool...) And, for the student who is struggling, the Buddha position has the dual benefit of very intuitively communicating the "zen-like" feeling of being centered and still in the water - irrespective of body-position.

kundalini4%5B1%5D.jpg

Once they "get it" it's quite simple to move on to combining the "neutral hover" skill with the separate "horizontal trim" skill. If a student is struggling... maybe it's because they're being task-loaded by an instructor who is unwittingly asking them to learn two skills at the same time. I expect that my students will have both mastered by the end of the dive, but I don't demand they start out that way if they're not having fun doing so.

There's more than one way to demonstrate virtually any skill. As an instructor you can take advantage of the "teaching freedom" to use any/all of the fun, effective ways at your disposal if needed. It's as important - or more so - for the student to actually imprint the knowledge BEHIND the skill as it is the mechanics of the skill itself. A monkey can be taught to mime any one version of a skill. I'd much rather produce a student who can hover in any of handful of positions because they UNDERSTAND the skill... than a student who only knows one "by the book" way of doing it.

Last edited:
Sandie-

What size steel tank...how high..and are you using trim weights?

Just a thought...

Bubs

This is the position you should be aiming for with neutral buoyancy

This is the position you should be aiming for with neutral buoyancy

We'll cover losing all the dangly and draggy bits in the next course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom