Buoyancy question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what type of emergency do you expect you might need a spool? How would you use it in that case? (I notice you're not carrying anything that could be on the end of the line on said spool.)

You never know. I might want to attach it to my buddy if the water is really bad vis. I might want to enter some of the sunken houses on smith lake one day, which is probally least likely. I might use it on lift bag. I might attach it to my dive float. I just keep it in my vest because it is small, and it might come in handy someday.

I might want to enter some of the sunken houses on smith lake one day, which is probably least likely.

If this is anything like what it sounds like do not, I repeat do not enter any confined space that has you wanting to run a line without a lot more experience and training.

You never know. I might want to attach it to my buddy if the water is really bad vis. ...

I might be reading your post to literally but you don't physically attach a buddy line to either diver in the buddy team. A buddy line (if used) is held loosely in the hand and not physically attached to the diver in any way.

You never know. I might want to attach it to my buddy if the water is really bad vis.

Hold hands. Or use a buddy line. With a spool (150', I am assuming) this sounds like an entanglement waiting to happen. Get more training

I might want to enter some of the sunken houses on smith lake one day, which is probally least likely.

Wow, with 0 to 24 dives and assuming an OW certification, you should not even joke about this. Get more training.

I might use it on lift bag.

Are you carrying a lift bag? Do you know how to lift objects without getting entangled in the line? Get more training.

I might attach it to my dive float.

Why? Doesn't your dive float already have a line on it?

I just keep it in my vest because it is small, and it might come in handy someday.

Don't take things you don't need. Minimalist in me speaking.

I applaud your thinking ahead and wanting to move forward with your diving. I wish more new divers were as progressive and wanting to strive for reaching new "depths" in their diving. No doubt with your passion and dedication you will be a great diver someday. It sounds like somebuddy is mentoring you a bit with your configuration. However, I think it is equally as important that mentoring be from a professional who can show you how to properly use it. A professional who is equally as seasoned in the configuration you are leaning towards. Qualified, not just certified.

Good luck with your diving! You're on the right track.
PS - Get more training.

I am really good friends with my instructor, and he was telling me the other day about the houses, under smith lake. He said we would most likely not go in there. But he says if he did he would spool line in there. I was just thinking of things I might need it for. I have my Ow cert. AOW Cert. and nitrox. Yes, I know how to use a lift bag, it was one of my requirements in my AOW class.

it also raised the question, what if I ever need to dump my weights? I don't have much to dump?

Your body weight has nothing to do with how buoyant you are. Your density does. You may have heavy bones as well as a lot of muscle. So, 5# may very well be correct for you.

You only need to dump a couple of pounds to get positive on the surface if you are properly weighted. I usually dive with 4# on a belt. Everything else is fixed (non-ditchable).

I know it sounds like you got rid of too much weight but keep in mind that a lot of instructors severely overweight their students to keep them on the bottom of the pool or platform to do their skills. :shakehead: Your instructor may have done this too. Your instructor should have done a proper weight check as part of your training as well as explain the process so you would know how to do it yourself in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom