Burning Eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She might just have sensitive eyes. Best way to prevent eyes from burning is to prevent water from getting in the mask to start. If she has problems with her mask leaking then she should consider getting a better fitting mask. Typically a mask that fits well should leak at all, or just a very slight amount that shouldn't get into her eyes. Also, her mask could fit okay but if she tightens the straps too much that prevents the mask from seating well and can leak. Personally my favorite defog is baby shampoo.

If she's using sunscreen it's almost certainly the cause (at least a big contributor), especially if she tries to wipe them with hands that have sunscreen on the too. I don't put sunscreen on my face if I going diving to avoid the burn, but when I'm snorkeling I don't have much of a choice but to screen and risk "eye burn". Somewhat related, sunscreen on your fingers can also make your mask fog if you touch the inside with them, such as when you spit and rub it in and rinse. I've gotten into the habit if scrubbing my hands with soap after I've sunscreened up - I think it helps a bit. I've read that the natural sunscreens also help.

I switched sunscreens recently and my eyes burned like crazy. Some product run and make my eyes water and burn, others don't. The burning eye stuff is now just used on non dive days.

Back
Top Bottom