buttplate on a halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also advise against the tech butt plate. Look at those photos and you can see how the 2 different rail styles and angles put the butt end of your tanks further out on the tech plate. Might be good for RB divers but not for OC trying to be streamlined as possible.

This is my experience so far - YMMV

BMW how did the tech plate work out for you? have you had any dives with it yet?
im leaning more towards the tech plate, im not too sure if im planning on going sidemount but id love to have the ability to place my pony on my side

I went with the tech butt plate. The sex bolts line up perfectly and the loops go over the webbing no problem.

I have not had a chance to dive this config yet but expect no problems slinging bottles.

Picture below:

techplate.JPG

It seems like the Deep Sea Supply tail plate would give you similar attachment points with a lot less bulk.

Hi!

Is this butt plate appropriate also for adding some weights to improve trim ?

I have new configuration that make single tank for a 1,5 kg more heavier at neck ( new double valve and another first stage ) that made me sinking with head down.

I have plan to made some kind of ''butt plate'' with three pockets for weights up to 6 kg.
Switch SS backplate 3mm for aluminium one .

Butt weight - because this is lower than waist , close to the body and I dive single 18lit ( no tail V weight , pocket .....)

Apologies in advance for resurrecting an older thread, but this is a very timely subject for me. I'm deciding to try sidemount, and rather than sell off my Halcyon Infinity, I'd like to try and mod it for sidemount use rather than spending many hundreds more on a dedicated SM setup. Reviewing various threads on DIY sidemount rigs, (including Andy/DevonDiver's excellent tutorials from the Philippines) this configuration seems the best bet for me, with an alternative being the OMS Profile adapter, if it's still available. Going with one of the Dive Rite Butt Plates on the Infinity would allow me to get into SM, but allow me to step back to the full use of the Halcyon BP/W for BM should I desire to. Most of my diving is in Eastern Canada in a dry suit, so I still have the weighting issue to deal with. I will only ever dive with two tanks, no stages, or other bottles attached. Open water, highly unlikely to go into overhead with the possible exception of of very "simple" open wrecks

What are some of the results of these experiments from a couple of years ago with the Infinity and the DR Butt Plates, were they successful and which of the two buttplates are recommended? Concerns? Possible improvements?

Thanks

I really recommend a true SM System if you are truly going to dive SM. This config helps out RB divers that want to SM Bailout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom