Buy pesos in u.s. Before trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hardly ever use peso's, never get them, except as change. Never ever use an ATM in Mexico.
Always carry cash, rarely use a charge card, unless I know the vendor.
I feel very safe there.

As others have said the ATM machines are plentiful. Get your withdrawals in pesos. Do not withdraw US dollars. You will probably get hit with some conversion fees that you could easily avoid. Most of the smaller restaurants don't take credit cards.

You can normally pay for your diving, hotel, vehicle rental with a credit card. Probably the least accepted card is American Express. You've already gotten some good info on budgeting. US dollars are readily accepted anywhere. Just be sure they are not torn or written on.

I have always used USD there. i pay and get USD in change. EAsy to get .. they dont have to exchange it for peso's when they change you in USD.

I get pesos from a bank run ATM as soon as I can when I get to Cozumel and repeat as necessary. I try to think only in pesos; I don't worry about exchange rates or "how much is that in American money?" I carry a reserve of $1 bills in case I get caught out in a taxi with only large denomination peso notes. It works for me.

In addition to only taking a small amount of USD, and then getting peso from the ATM there, I like to come back with some peso to have for my next trip. Just quirky I guess, but it is fun to start my trip with using peso at the shuttle van ticket booth. Plus, paying for that first , cold, cervasa with peso is golden !! :glad:

I always try and use pesos. In fact sitting on 18,500 pesos right now for my coming trip this May for 18 days. Picked up these right before I left MX the last time. Agree with most reviewers, I like using pasos while in Mx. The large amounts, airfare, lodging, diving I pay with CC in USD before I leave. In fact I know it saves me money paying in Pesos. I have made the exchange once here in the states with my local bank. Will never do that again - fees were not to high but the exchange rate was awlful.

After you've been there a half dozen times or more, you know what things cost, what is, and isn't, a bargin, no
matter what currency. I especially like to tip in USD, so do the locals. No reason at all to use pesos, or even have them.
Learn the exchange and your all set. Especially if your buying gas.:D

Have to disagree with you Darol, you will almost always get the short end of the exchange rate paying in dollars. Remember, a vendor is not obligated to use the same exchange rates offered by banks. I am midway thru a month long vacation here and have saved about 15% paying in pesos, maybe more. I visit very often and always use local currency. Its easy to think pesos rather than dollars. FWIW, locals are happy just to be tipped in any currency. Most exchange for pesos!

After you've been there a half dozen times or more, you know what things cost, what is, and isn't, a bargin, no
matter what currency. I especially like to tip in USD, so do the locals. No reason at all to use pesos, or even have them.
Learn the exchange and your all set. Especially if your buying gas.:D
I have been there more than half dozen times - a lot more - and for me, pesos is the way to go. I'd rather not deal with the exchange rate than learn it and always have to do the math. But whatever floats your boat.

Have to disagree with you Darol, you will almost always get the short end of the exchange rate paying in dollars. Remember, a vendor is not obligated to use the same exchange rates offered by banks. I am midway thru a month long vacation here and have saved about 15% paying in pesos, maybe more. I visit very often and always use local currency. Its easy to think pesos rather than dollars. FWIW, locals are happy just to be tipped in any currency. Most exchange for pesos!
The store on our corner, which does a booming business selling tortas to cab drivers, has a sign posted that they are exchanging 1US $ for 10 pesos. So if I were a cab driver (or any of the store's customers), I would want to be paying in pesos.

But as Gordon said, do whatever makes you happy!

Back
Top Bottom