Buying a Dive computer, please help with choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes hard to tell who makes the gear by brand name alone. for example, majority of SPGs are made by 2 companies in Italy. Then rebranded.....

Bism(part of Bridgestone) has some cool dive computers. I understand the actual computer part is Seiko....

wow guys, thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. The reason Im going for the Tusa's is because I can get them at a really good price, at the moment about 40% off of the original price. I think Im gonna go for the IQ 800. I think the vibrate function will really come in handy because the beeping of dive computers when you down there can become irritating.

I also looked at a gekko and mosquito both from Suunto, would anyone rather take one of those than the Tusa watches?

Have you looked at Aladdin? I recommend them as a first time computer. Suunto is fine but the Gekko and the Mosquito are a bit dated now, there are other better, newer options in the Suunto range. The main thing you need is ease of use (starts automatically on contact with water and you don't have to push any buttons while doing the dive), easy to read (get a big screen) and easy switch over from air to nitrox. Voila.

Yeh Ive looked at the Alladin a bit, but the thing is I can get this tusa IQ 800 for really cheap, comapred to the Aladin I think the Tusa is about 60% of the price of the Aladin, my cousin is going to singapore in 3 weeks time. Can you buy these kind of dive computers there? And how do the prices compare to other places? I didnt buy the one at the shop today because of some issues that bug me, there was no box with the watch, nor a manual or anything and it had a couple of minor scratches on the plastic face cover, now the guy says they just lost the box and stuff but I highly doubt this.

Yeh Ive looked at the Alladin a bit, but the thing is I can get this tusa IQ 800 for really cheap, comapred to the Aladin I think the Tusa is about 60% of the price of the Aladin, my cousin is going to singapore in 3 weeks time. Can you buy these kind of dive computers there? And how do the prices compare to other places? I didnt buy the one at the shop today because of some issues that bug me, there was no box with the watch, nor a manual or anything and it had a couple of minor scratches on the plastic face cover, now the guy says they just lost the box and stuff but I highly doubt this.
Hi Clarifon. It would not be correct for me to get into the pros and cons of any particular dive computer. Moreover, the more you know about dive computers, there more confusing the choice gets. That's why I strongly recommend you to get something really simple and easy to use. I don't know where you live, so I can't imagin why a DS was trying to sell you an Aladdin in those conditions. Any computer should be "spanking new", no scratches, defects with a full manual normally in various languages, box, plastic wrap for the computer and sealed guarantee on purchase. A lot of shops try to move secon hand gear with gullible newcomers as "only has a coupe of dives" etc. I recommend you buy a new one what ever the brand.

Without making any recommendations, it seems to me that the advantages of the TUSA you are looking at is the vibratory aspect, Visual & audio alarms for critical situations, User replaceable battery, Compatible for both air & nitrox (up to a 50% oxygen mix), Settable PO2 and personal safety input, Safety stop function, Up to 30 hours and 60 dives memory, Display backlight, Maximum depth alarm, PC interface
Very thin design with flat screen, Large easy to read display. Pretty Neat. The RRP of this product is $499, but you can probably get 50 dollars off, down to $449.

The Aladin Prime Wrist Dive Computer Accommodates Nitrox mixes (21% - 50%),Water submersion activation system can be disabled by user (don't do it!) Audible warnings can be disabled (don't do that either!)Safety features include: Desaturation reset, Safety stop timer, Pre-dive planner for decompression dives, battery life indicator,
Tissue saturation graphic (critical for avoiding Central Nervous System toxicity), Logbook stores up to 25 hours of dive profiles,Maximum depth display, Water temperature display and has additional Watch Features: Accommodates Nitrox mixes (21% - 50%) Twelve or twenty four-hour display format,Alarm Date and time zone adjustment. RRP is $458 but you can get it for $349.95

So I guess you should just go with the one you like.....

If it were me I'd probably go with the 700 because it's less expensive and has 2 gas capability, should you ever get into deco diving or want to sell it to someone. The big selling point of the 800 is the size of the display. I would not place a great deal of hope in the vibrating alarm; maybe it works fine, but remember you'll be wearing this thing over a wetsuit. Any vibrating alarm strong enough to get your attention under water through neoprene must be pretty strong (I would think) and that sounds like a battery hog to me. Maybe I'm wrong, it sure seems that the designers would have thought of that and dealt with it.

So, if you need the huge numbers, maybe the 800 is the way to go. The 700 is a seiko computer (I bet the 800 is too) just like the dive rite and apeks computer. A while back scubatoys had a thread going about how they were replacing troublesome dive rite duos with the identical TUSA computer; apparently dive rite had a bad run of them. Who knows why, and it could have just been coincidence.

wow guys, thanks again for all the replies. Yeh leapfrog, I agree with what you said about the shops selling second hand stuff, I also think thats what they are trying to do, they just told me that "they lost the manual and box somewhere in the shop", which I highly doubt. Im from South Africa and normally the Tusa 800 sells for more than $700 and now I can get one for just under $500 from that shop. Ill look into the aladin and that M2 that someone mentioned from Mares. Would you guys reccomend buying the software and the interface stuff when I get the computer? Are there any computers that actually include this when you buy it? If I buy a computer in singapore, do some or all manufacturers have an international warranty?

Would you guys reccomend buying the software and the interface stuff when I get the computer?
Yes, you sound like you want to use it. I 'm an old fashioned logbook man myself, but there you are....

Are there any computers that actually include this when you buy it?
Not sure I understand the question...:11doh:

If I buy a computer in singapore, do some or all manufacturers have an international warranty?
Yes, yes, definitely yes. Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer and have it dated and stamped. Just make sure you don't buy some unheard of brand like "Ping Zee" or something!

Hey, what I meant by that "are there computers that include this" is, with the tusa 800 you have to buy the software and cable seperately as an extra which is usually a bit expensive. Are there dive computers that are sold with the needed software and cables? Do some computers work with say bluetooth or IR or some other technology or havent they thought of that yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom