Buying a Petrel 2 or Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Beach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at buying a new dive computer and was mainly interested in shearwater. I was going to order the petrel 2 last month but got wind of a new computer from a local dive shop. Now here's the problem which one the petrel 2 or the perdix? I know there are no plans to cut the petrel 2 so I don't believe support is a issue. Which one? Is the only thing different is the slightly slimmer case and smaller screen? What about durability? Is the case stronger or weaker. Is the depth rating the same? I'm look for a computer that's going to be there for awhile and I will be able to to grow into.

the depth rating for each is far deeper than you will ever go, I can promise you that. The injection molded perdix vs the milled Petrel should be close enough for real world durability, but I'd go Perdix personally. No real reason to get the Petrel 2 SA anymore

Thanks for the link and now seeing the depth rating is extremely deep, that's not even in the question. Looks like the battery life is a lot better. As the price in the petrel hasn't dropped I'll be getting the Perdix thanks

I like the fact that it takes an AA battery and has double o-rings on the battery compartment. Hey, it's a shearwater so you know it's a great little unit.

the petrel price won't drop because it's wicked expensive to produce. Part of the logic behind the perdix is that once they pay off the injection molds, they'll be able to start lowering the cost of that. The Perdix is not to replace the Petrel, the Petrel is the key to their rebreather DiveCAN which is the primary focus of the business. The Perdix is just an improvement they decided to make and likely had to due to the milling requirements for the Petrel. It is a lot of time on the CNC and the manufacturing costs are drastically reduced by injection molding despite a higher upfront cost

Reactions: Jax
You can't go wrong either way. If buying new, get the Perdix. But if you find a good price on a used Petrel 2, that is a good option as well.

how can we determine resale value? they just started shipping to customers a week or two ago.... Will it hold its value? yeah, but if you're planning on selling it later, you should just buy a used Petrel 1 or 2 and save a few hundred bucks. The battery life boost is not really significant, it just is a feature, but the form factor is what would push you to buy one or the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom