Buying a Petrel 2 or Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not saying I'll resale. Very decent petrels sale relatively close to there sale price and seeing there not dropping the price of the petrel means resale value probably won't drop. As with the perdix when they drop the sale price when there mold is paid off means the value will drop. Not saying I'm buying a new dive computer to resale. I like to try things out and if I don't like it I'll sale then invest in another computer. It the same reason I buy Mac computers. When I have a desire to upgrade there is value left in the product.

I am looking at buying a new dive computer and was mainly interested in shearwater. I was going to order the petrel 2 last month but got wind of a new computer from a local dive shop. Now here's the problem which one the petrel 2 or the perdix? I know there are no plans to cut the petrel 2 so I don't believe support is a issue. Which one? Is the only thing different is the slightly slimmer case and smaller screen? What about durability? Is the case stronger or weaker. Is the depth rating the same? I'm look for a computer that's going to be there for awhile and I will be able to to grow into.
I own a Predator and its a great unit. Shearwater product support is second to none. I purchased a Perdix on January 4th and just got back from a 2 week dive trip to Cozumel. I had high expectations for the Perdix and it exceeded them. Pretty fine unit. I don't think you can go wrong here.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the price dropping when the mold is paid off. No reason to do so.

oh, mold payback is probably on a 2-3 year ROI, so what is likely to happen is that the price isn't going to be adjusted for inflation. Also keep in mind how terrible the CAD is doing which is keeping these prices way down from where they would normally be.

I just bought a Perdix and it should arrive tomorrow. I chose it because it's simple to use and a quality computer. I also like it's slightly smaller size, use of AA batteries and having two o-rings on the battery compartment. Two of my buddies dive with the Petrel 2 and convinced me. When i got around to ordering, I read about the Perdix. I'm glad to hear so much positive feedback.

Thanks for the replies bratface let me know how you like the perdix. It's more likely what I'm leaning towards. My dive shop keep holding off on ordering and I'm about to just order it online. I am trying to be nice and help keep my LSD open but there response is really horable. Did a class back before Christmas and never received cert for it, until I when up there. They lost my file and when I finally got it. It wasn't even my picture. Call the shop, they start arguing with me saying it's going to cost him to change it. I told him I pay and that for someone that is looking to spend several thousand dollars in your shop within the next couple mouths on a computer and tec classes you sure don't know how to keep a customer.

And back to the subject.

This will be my first shearwater computer and the info you guys have given me and what other have said. There is no reason for me not to be happy with any choose I make. Thanks for the help.

I have a Petral and love it, like everyone else. Relative to the Perdix, the only disadvantage is the bulky size and shape. I'm pondering buying a Perdix for my wife, largely because she's 100 pounds (soaking wet) and my impression is that it might sit on her wrist a bit better...

I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies bratface let me know how you like the perdix. It's more likely what I'm leaning towards. My dive shop keep holding off on ordering and I'm about to just order it online. I am trying to be nice and help keep my LSD open but there response is really horable. Did a class back before Christmas and never received cert for it, until I when up there. They lost my file and when I finally got it. It wasn't even my picture. Call the shop, they start arguing with me saying it's going to cost him to change it. I told him I pay and that for someone that is looking to spend several thousand dollars in your shop within the next couple mouths on a computer and tec classes you sure don't know how to keep a customer.

And back to the subject.

This will be my first shearwater computer and the info you guys have given me and what other have said. There is no reason for me not to be happy with any choose I make. Thanks for the help.

John Beach, I went diving today and this computer doesn't disappoint. Everything I needed to see was on one screen. Just one push of the right button and the compass comes on. Push it twice and more information such as maximum depth, ppO2 appears. It is very easy to customize the screens. Look at my post "unboxing my Perdix" in the computer thread. I have posted photos that you might find helpful. I also bought mine from Dive Gear Express online and it was an excellent transaction with fast shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom