Buying a regulator for this first time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGir1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi :) I joined the site a few years ago, and then sort of got side tracked for a while LOL. Anyways, I'm just getting into buying my own gear for the first time, and I'm some-what of a new diver. I'm thinking of getting the Aqualung Legend LX. Do you think that is a good regulator for a newbie?

And then I'm getting the Sunnto Gekko computer, and Seaquest (aqualung) Libra BCD w/ air source.

I'm fairly confident that buying the Sunnto Gekko and the BCD wise...right? lol
But I just want to make sure that the regulator is a good buy. Thanks!!

My wife and I just bought our first reg sets, and went with the Titan LX's. The Legebd's are very nice regs, but were a bit pricy. The Titan LX's we're very happy with. Much easier breathers than the Sherwoods we had in class.

We went with an actual alternate air, rather than the integrated air source, at the reccomendation of the LDS. They explained that the intergrated air source added another set of skills to OOA situations. The ABS is what we settled on.

aftr extensive research I learned that Aqualung was very reputable. I went with the Kronos and am very pleased.
Pricey...yes. But this is the one piece of equipment where I threw thriftiness to the wind, over quality.
Spencer

I'm a ScubaPro fan myself. I think this is mostly a personal choice as well as budget. Just look at the flow rates and compare the one your getting with other models, you'll find that most of the time the insides are identical and your paying for looks ( titanium etc...) Good luck

You have a good eye in my opinion. I dive with the Balance (men's version of the Libra) with the Air Source. I use a Legend ACD LX as one of my two regulators and use a Suunto Vytec computer. I have used Sherwood & Oceanic in the past.

My wife uses a Libra with Air Source and likes it. She did have a little concern on the OOA procedures (as someone noted - there are a new set of skills for that), but after practicing with her in the pool and ocean, she is more comfortable with it now.

Since you are in southern CA, you should look at the tent sale coming this Fri-Sun (8/17 - 8/19) at a few local Sport Chalets. They stock Suunto and AquaLung products, so you may find a deal there. If you want the specific stores having the tent sale, just PM me.

Welcome back to diving and hope you enjoy your new toys. You may want to do a refresher course if it has been a while - especially once you get the new gear...

ScubaGir1:
I'm thinking of getting the Aqualung Legend LX. Do you think that is a good regulator for a newbie?
I think it's a good reg for *anyone*. It breathes quite nicely, indeed, and it has two HP ports (which means you'll be set if you ever decide you want one of those astonishingly expensive wireless air integrated computers :D).

My regs are all Legend, Titan (only one HP port, but a good workhorse reg), and Conshelf (my utility reg... also great for knocking out the guy holding your buddy at spearpoint). You're not going to go wrong with the Legend (although if you're pressed for cash, the Titan is a nice, budget reg that doesn't breathe like a low-end reg).

By the way, check to see if there are any "free octo with reg" or "free air source with BC" incentives currently active (it may be too late for the summer ones this year). If there are, be sure you get them. I got a free octo with my pony reg, even though I don't use it on the pony. Now, I have a backup second stage just in case anything ever happens. :D

I dive the DIN version of the Legend LX and love it. That said - you'll find the reg that a person dives is the one they will argue tooth and nail over it being the best. Be sure to buy a reg that will perform for the environment you plan to dive it. The Legend will handle about any condition - I have my intermediate pressure set a bit lower for cold water, the LX will allow you to adjust cracking pressure if you plan to drift dive, etc.

Whatever you get just do your research and be sure it's what you want. Your local shop may be pushing AL products as the best because that's what they sell.

Scubagir1 the Legend LX is a very good hi-po reg. If you talk to a 100 divers you'll get 100 different answers. Everyone feels theres is the best. If there was a hands down best wouldn't everyone be using it? You get the point.

All well know regulators breath so well us as a human we can't tell the difference. Divers, Oceanic, Scubapro, Mares, Zeagle, Aries, Sherwood, Genesis, Poseidon etc etc are all very good and will last forever as long as there serviced.

So, no worries.

It is a fine reg and breathes well in all positions. I think the current model is basically an Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom