Buying a regulator for this first time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove the Titan LX for three years now. Bulletproof! If you put any stock in the breathing tests done by Rodale, ALL the AL/Apeks regs rate nearly identical in every test. Given those options, a Titan LX is far less expensive and you are getting the same performance.

However, if you want to go with the Legend, can't go wrong with that either.

Good luck.

Speaking of first stages, between the Titan and the Legend the differences are one HP port (Titan) or two (Legend) and environmentally-sealed first stage (Legend) vs. optional environmental kit add-on (Titan).

Regarding second stages, you have the unbalanced (Titan), balanced (Titan LX, Legend), and balanced with adjustment knob (Legend LX). (All of them have a surface/dive "venturi switch", but with the Legend LX, you can adjust the cracking pressure, i.e. the amount of inhale force at which the second stage starts flowing.)

Some of the tests I've seen are like comparing top speeds when you're out buying a car. Sure, my car has a top speed of 125 mph, while this other one has a top speed of 150 mph, but while that may indeed be 20% faster, if the fastest I'll drive is around 75 mph or so, does it really matter at all to me?

ClayJar:
Some of the tests I've seen are like comparing top speeds when you're out buying a car. Sure, my car has a top speed of 125 mph, while this other one has a top speed of 150 mph, but while that may indeed be 20% faster, if the fastest I'll drive is around 75 mph or so, does it really matter at all to me?

Probably not at the level you are diving. I like being able to adjust the cracking pressure when diving deep.

ScubaGir1:
Hi :) I joined the site a few years ago, and then sort of got side tracked for a while LOL. Anyways, I'm just getting into buying my own gear for the first time, and I'm some-what of a new diver. I'm thinking of getting the Aqualung Legend LX. Do you think that is a good regulator for a newbie?
And then I'm getting the Sunnto Gekko computer, and Seaquest (aqualung) Libra BCD w/ air source.
I'm fairly confident that buying the Sunnto Gekko and the BCD wise...right? lol
But I just want to make sure that the regulator is a good buy. Thanks!!

There's not a regulator you can find that will not be better than we started with in the 60's. Aqua Lung was the leader in regulators for a long time, and still in the top tier of regulator brands. It's a company that is picky about who carries their gear, so your dive shop will support your choice with parts and service. . . saying that, I would suggest another direction for your study.

Many people get sidetracked from this sport because of being uncomfortable with the gear. I recommend your first purchase should be a great fitting wet or dry suit. If you are not a "box" size, a custom fit is not very much more expensive. When you are comfortable with the water temperature the next most important fit is your BC. . . Only by diving with several styles can you find what will be comfortable for YOU in the water. Many shops will let you dive with more than one style. Even if you have to rent a BC to make a dive, it's important. A bad fit. . . will squeeze the air out of you if it fits badly and you inflate it. A bad fit. . . will push you uncomfortably when you inflate it at the surface. A bad fit. . . will let the tank flop around on your back as you move around underwater. THERE IS NO WAY to tell if a BC fits, in a dive shop showroom or over the internet. Only when you dive with a Libra can you tell if it's the one for you. This forum is full of divers bad mouthing one type or another, because their first BC's didn't fit. If you choose gear that keeps you comfortable. . . we'll have you around telling us "sea stories" for a long time. :D

ScubaGir1:
Hi :) I joined the site a few years ago, and then sort of got side tracked for a while LOL. Anyways, I'm just getting into buying my own gear for the first time, and I'm some-what of a new diver. I'm thinking of getting the Aqualung Legend LX. Do you think that is a good regulator for a newbie?

And then I'm getting the Sunnto Gekko computer, and Seaquest (aqualung) Libra BCD w/ air source.

I'm fairly confident that buying the Sunnto Gekko and the BCD wise...right? lol
But I just want to make sure that the regulator is a good buy. Thanks!!

(Just throwing this out)...........Oceanic makes a very good regulator...I use a SP Mk 10/G200 but have an Oceanic as my wife's....In fact, I had to use it on the Fling for all my dives a couple weeks ago as my dust cover strap broke on my SP while hooking up the equipment leaving the dock.......

TheRedHead:
I like being able to adjust the cracking pressure when diving deep.
Do you ever forget to adjust the cracking pressure? I find that if I'm not over 80' or so, I have a tendency to forget. (When I get to the point where it reminds me, the difference is appreciable. :D)

ClayJar:
Do you ever forget to adjust the cracking pressure? I find that if I'm not over 80' or so, I have a tendency to forget. (When I get to the point where it reminds me, the difference is appreciable. :D)

My Apeks is a sweet breather at almost all depths. When I'm at 130+ feet, I want the least resistance possible in case I have to work hard. My biggest fear is a CO2 hit. I experienced a CO2 hit with a non-adjustable regulator once. :shakehead:

TheRedHead:
My Apeks is a sweet breather at almost all depths. When I'm at 130+ feet, I want the least resistance possible in case I have to work hard. My biggest fear is a CO2 hit. I experienced a CO2 hit with a non-adjustable regulator once. :shakehead:
Having encountered a mild (yeah, tell me it was mild at the time... I dare you) CO2 hit once, I'm right with you there. My diving rarely goes much beyond 100' here, but if it did, I would certainly looking around to keep up with the best breathers at depth.

(You could say that you're the professional driver who bumps against the cars' limits while everyone else is driving by on the overcrowded highway. Hmm... then can I be the design engineer who knows all about the systems that make up the car but only occasionally puts any stress on them? :D)

((Hmm... and the rebreather divers are the amazing-to-the-rest-of-us extreme supercross dirtbike riders who still ride things with wheels but do things that we'd never dream of doing ourselves, all the while trying to get us to understand that there's really nothing that dangerous about a 150' double-backflip fakey superman tail whip. :rofl3:))

I am a new diver and I have a Balance with the Air Source. I wish I had chosen the Octo instead. For a new diver trying to make sure everything is going well, the air source can be a source of confusion. The buttons are very close together and can be confused. I did this once at 40' and ended up on the surface before I realized what happened. I am using my right dump valve now to empty my bc now, but I think an octo would have been a better decision.

Good luck.

ClayJar:
(You could say that you're the professional driver who bumps against the cars' limits while everyone else is driving by on the overcrowded highway. Hmm... then can I be the design engineer who knows all about the systems that make up the car but only occasionally puts any stress on them? :D)

No, I haven't pushed the limits of that reg - yet. Just say that when I'm in heavy traffic and I want to switch lanes, I want some power when I stomp the accelerator. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom