Buying first dry suit - need some insight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your over looking a lot of brands out there too. Even if you don't buy, go to shops that rent and try some suits on. I don't think loosing weight will make as much diff as gaining weight but if your on a fast track and REALLY plan on staying there, then wait.
Awsome deals to be had on Ebay.
One final note, we have Bare dry suits and with very few dives in them, are very happy. BAre and DUI seem to be the big two right now but I could be wrong.

rico68:
Thanks. I was kind of wondering if the Dive Rite of Viking were better choices due to no stitching. But that still leaves the fit issue....

I'm 5'10" and 230 lbs, 48-50 inch chest. I don't fit neatly into anyone's sizing chart. When trying to pick brand and model, it's all about fit, fit, fit... everyone recommends "try them on before settling on a brand and model. Pick the one that fits best."

Local shops don't keep stock so you can try them on. You're left having to pick from catalog, pay for suit, order suit, suit arrives but is too (short, long, fat, skinny, etc.), send back for different size or alteration, suit is returned......

By the time you get to try it on you've already paid for the suit and waited for shipping. Only to find out you don't like the way this suit feels at all, let alone sizing, and would really like to try a different brand from possibly a different dealer.

How does everyone else do this? Are there dealers that have one of every size in stock for people to try on? If not, how do you know what you like enough to buy without ever trying one on?

Dude, I am 5'10" and 188# (just down from 201#) and still need to lost 10 pounds. I decided to lose weight b/c my wetsuit kept "shrinking" and I got winded keeping up with my kids.

Weight loss should also help with air consumption b/c you have less tissue to oxygenate.

Or you could tell me to kiss off. In which case I would say to go with a custom suit.

Hey, rico68 . . .

. . . I guess I need to get my head out of my jar and listen to what I read!!!!

Sorry.

I don't think 15 pounds will make as big difference in a dry suit as it will a wet suit.

Look at it this way, if you buy the suit now and you lose 15 pounds, that's just that much more room for you to wear thicker undies and dive colder water!

the K

Drysuits are nice that way, a bit of weight loss doesn't matter there like it does a wetsuit.

The DUI Rally is pretty nice, lets you experience first hand many different suits without a lot of money. I think it costs you $5 and you get to dive as many as you want to, time allowing that day.

Just to post the "other side"...

I've had horrible luck with custom suits, both wet and dry. Not a one hasn't had to be sent back at least once, usually twice. One was re-measured, and rebuilt from scratch. Not surprisingly the computer spit out a pattern that was exactly like the first one and it didn't fit.

Some of us just have bodies that throw a curve to the custom fit programs. Mine is 6'2", 190 lbs and long and thin.

On the other hand, trying on a stock suit and specing an additional 2" in arms and legs produced a perfect fit for a dry suit!

Give a stock size a chance if you can try one on.

All the best, James

When I was ready to buy my dry suit. The shop sized me. This was fairly involved and took about 10 - 15 minutes. Lucky for me they had a suit in the shop that fit me perfectly.

My wife was a totally different story. They did the same thing, got all her measurements and then requested the appropriately sized fitting suit from the manufacturer we had chosen for our suits.

They send up the suit or suits and you try them on and see what fits. If you don't fit into a standard size then they have to custom make one for you. Which was the case with my wife.

Ron

Thanks.

I'm not saying I don't fit into standard sizes. My wetsuit is a stock size.
What I'm saying is that I don't fit into the charts.

I wear a Pinnacle Elite wetsuit in XXLS that fits me like a glove. Take a look at Pinnacle's sizing chart. It says I should be between 6'2" and 6'4"... I'm 5'10". Weight 220-250... I'm 230, good there. Chest 44"-48"... I was 50" when I bought it, may be 48" now.

I tried on a dozen different wetsuits before finding the Pinnacle in a short (built for a 6'2" guy??) that actually fit right.

I'm pretty sure a stock size for a drysuit will work. My concern is making a $1300-$1600 purchase, without trying the drysuit on, based off nothing but a chart. Maybe the safest thing to do is go with the Pinnacle drysuit, and assume their sizing would be the same between wet and dry suits.

I bought a drysuit that fit me "okay" but then realised that it was just too tight in the legs. I took it back to the shop and they measured me for a USIA semi-custom. It took about 3 weeks for the suit to arrive. They then sent the wrong size undies so back went the undies. Two weeks later the new size undies arrive. I havent had a problem and I love the suit much better than the old one I bought.

The suit is still exactly 3 inches too long in the legs but I bought a pair of gaitors from DiveRite and since then have had no problem with the boot slipping off of my heal (I will try one of thoes "fin keepers" one of these days). Even if I sent it back to get adjusted again it would be worth it for me because I plan on keeping the drysuit for many years...much longer than I would a wetsuit.

Oh and the semi-custom was they took a stock size that fit my torso area and my large thighs, and shrunk the arms and legs down to fit me. Worked for me!

It's an investment as my new suit was twice the price of the old, ill fitting suit I had before. But I'm hoping to put 10 years on this drysuit before I look for another!

Jeremy

DO NOT buy a dry suit unless you can try it on first. DON'T DO IT!!! You are, IMHO, rushing into this way too fast perhaps due to your excitement for the sport. When it comes to dry suits, take your time and MAKE SURE you are buying WHAT YOU NEED or you WILL REGRET IT AFTER. Research, shop, try, and do all of that regardless of how hard it is for you to do it. Just some advice that YOU SHOULD TAKE. In the end, you will be happy with your $2000 investement and you will likely be spending that much even if you buy a cheap dry suit because dry suit diving is expensive. Undies, new fins maybe, more undies, more undies for your undies so your undies don't stink, repairs, shipping costs to send it back when it doesn't fit or it breaks or the valve starts leaking, more undies becasue the undies you bought before aren't warm enough, undies for your feet, dry gloves and maybe a new hood too becasue the dry suit isn't as warm as you thought it would be because your hands and head are still freezing, a new reg set becasue now you are diving colder water than you could before.....the list goes on and on and on.....:eyebrow: Good luck and have fun shopping!

Oh I almost forgot another expense......The cost of a new CUSTOM suit becasue you find that you wish you bought that better fitting suit that has pockets and knee pads and the free hood that didn't come with the stock size one you bought for $1400.:banghead:

I'm of roughly the same proportions as you and I bought a DUI Trilam custom. I bought it at a dive expo (Beneath the Sea in NJ) and the price difference was only about $200.00 It fits perfectly. Go custom you won't be sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom