Buying from Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not at least give your LDS an opportunity to meet or compete with the items you like? It sounds as if you like your LDS enough to purchase some things. What harm can come from asking? At least you'll have some direct accountability should something go wrong later?

If they don't like it, can't meet or come close then try somewhere else.

I have done business with Liesure Pro on more than one item. No problem. Items delivered promptly at good prices.

Zak OHara:
What harm can come from asking?
Why should he? I would guess that if his LDS was competetive he wouldn't be purchasing online in the first place. I keep my Online dealings to myself when in an LDS, it's been my experience they don't take kindly to the lost business or insinuation that if they don't match prices your going someplace else. Unless they have a written or know policy, I don't ask, even if it's a place I may never go back to, it's just not worth the effort. I don't go into any other (US) retail store and haggle over price, this isn't a street vendor in Tijuana we're talking about. Is it the position of Mares that we treat Shop owners that way?

OR just buy where you want and preserve your current LDS service and training relationship while it lasts. Keep where you bought your gear to yourself

-Garrett

Zak OHara:
Why not at least give your LDS an opportunity to meet or compete with the items you like? It sounds as if you like your LDS enough to purchase some things. What harm can come from asking? At least you'll have some direct accountability should something go wrong later?

In the interest of supporting local business, I have asked LDS's to come close to LP prices, I often get a look of distain that I would dare order from online sources, but have never been offered a comparable price. For example, one of the LDS here is selling the UK Light Cannon for $300, last fall, LP offerd a special for ~$158 and is now "regularly priced" at $184. With shipping and all, I got 2 lights for more than $200 less than the LDS.

The point is that LDS markup is so very high that even if they offered 25% off, it's still not enough to make it worth while to buy from them on big ticket items.

When you are savings several hundred dollars over the cost of a full rig and accessories, it's worth the warrenty risk incurred by buying online.

IMHO....
John

I understand and can appreciate what you are saying. It was just a suggestion.

I've seen the look of disdain from dive stores towards customers as well. I think it is getting less and less as the years go by, although I know it is still there in some places. I also know that some will meet prices if they can, such as Scuba Toys etc. I'm not trying to create an argument.

It is not the policy of Mares to tell the consumer how to treat a dive store nor tell the dive store how to run their business.

Zak OHara:

Probably because some LDSs feel that even mentioning Leisuirepro is just cause to give the customer a hard time or even blackball them. As in "Don't bother ever coming back and go ahead and get your tanks filled at LP if you like their prices so much".

Why should a customer even risk such a response when the LDS position is pretty clear?

Edit: I didn't read the other responses before I posted. But, l think you get the picture. If shops don't give any indication that they want to deal, then why should the customer make the first move?

I've bought several odds and ends from Leisure Pro and I haven't had any problems. On my big ticket items I usually buy from my LDS because they are an authorized dealer and I won't have a warranty issue. On servicing things like a regulator my LDS gives me great service partly because I'm a good customer. And yes they know I've bought some odds and ends from Leisure Pro.

LDSs know Leisure Pro and Scuba Toys are out there and they have to compete. The smart ones do. It doesn't always have to come down to just sales price but sometimes they can also make it up to you on the service end.

I have always competed with Leisurepro/Scubatoys/diverssupply/diversdiscount/ etc. etc. . It's easy as pie. I just bring up their website look for whatever it is the customer was talking and make sure we are comparing apples to apples. To many times these days a customer will puchase from an online source and will not be told that the item they are purchasing is discontinued. Great it's cheap, but it should be known also that what you are getting is new, current gear. Most of the time I don't need to compete, people know they are getting a good deal when they walk into my store on new, current gear.

Back
Top Bottom