Buying from Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had good experience with leisurepro. Same with scubatoys and several other online shops (check out the "hot deals" section), ebay, individuals selling used gear and small retailers on this board, ... All good so far for me. In general buying online is safe if the seller has a good reputation. If you need the warranty then ask about it before you buy. Ask if you can send the item in for service and what service would cost. Ask about the return policy. Good luck, and be careful not buy crap gear right off the bat since you are (I assume) new to diving.

shark.byte.usa:
Why should he? I would guess that if his LDS was competetive he wouldn't be purchasing online in the first place. I keep my Online dealings to myself when in an LDS, it's been my experience they don't take kindly to the lost business or insinuation that if they don't match prices your going someplace else. Unless they have a written or know policy, I don't ask, even if it's a place I may never go back to, it's just not worth the effort. I don't go into any other (US) retail store and haggle over price, this isn't a street vendor in Tijuana we're talking about. Is it the position of Mares that we treat Shop owners that way?
How much do you pay for a car if you don't haggle?

I can't argue with not wanting to haggle. I've been lucky... My first dive shop, the one closest to my house and the one I did my training with, prices things in their shop at MSRP or higher (the fins I bought for my course were 10-12% over MSRP, which with a student discount of 10% was just a bit above MSRP, as I recall), and when I enquired about getting $1700 or so of gear from them, and asked about a discount, said a little something might come off as they rang it up.

The other dive shop I've found about 20 miles further away gives me prices right around where I see the authorized online dealers advertising without me asking. I could save a bit more going online and getting the discounts they can't advertise, especially since I wouldn't have to pay sales tax, but this dive shop also spends a lot of time talking about your gear choices with you if you want, gives you a chance to try out your new gear in a pool, and has a 30-day return policy, even if you've used it in the ocean.

While I've bought stuff online, I think I'm going to give the second dive shop first shot at most of my business, at least for the big things. I can see going online for small things you don't care about service/warranty on, or where the shop doesn't have/carry what you specifically want. I bought a mask from LP after visiting their NYC store (local dive shops didn't have one that fit well, and LP had a number of them on display), and I have a box under my desk I got today from Scubatoys with the dive lights I wanted where the shop didn't have what I specifically wanted.

However, if I only had the first dive shop as option, I think I might end up doing a lot of online sales, local servicing be damned. I'm hopeful the first shop will improve, since it was just sold to a new owner. I'm glad I have more options though; if you don't like the pricing at one place, try looking at others before giving up on local sales.

Fordan:
I said (US) retail store, I don't really consider a car/vehicle dealership in this same category. But since you bring it up I don't haggle there either, I work for an OE parts manufacturer and the deals we get really piss the dealership/salesman off plus we're still entitled to all the dealer incentives on top of it. :D

-Garrett

Fordan:

I can't argue with not wanting to haggle. I've been lucky... My first dive shop, the one closest to my house and the one I did my training with, prices things in their shop at MSRP or higher (the fins I bought for my course were 10-12% over MSRP, which with a student discount of 10% was just a bit above MSRP, as I recall), and when I enquired about getting $1700 or so of gear from them, and asked about a discount, said a little something might come off as they rang it up.

The other dive shop I've found about 20 miles further away gives me prices right around where I see the authorized online dealers advertising without me asking. I could save a bit more going online and getting the discounts they can't advertise, especially since I wouldn't have to pay sales tax, but this dive shop also spends a lot of time talking about your gear choices with you if you want, gives you a chance to try out your new gear in a pool, and has a 30-day return policy, even if you've used it in the ocean.

While I've bought stuff online, I think I'm going to give the second dive shop first shot at most of my business, at least for the big things. I can see going online for small things you don't care about service/warranty on, or where the shop doesn't have/carry what you specifically want. I bought a mask from LP after visiting their NYC store (local dive shops didn't have one that fit well, and LP had a number of them on display), and I have a box under my desk I got today from Scubatoys with the dive lights I wanted where the shop didn't have what I specifically wanted.

However, if I only had the first dive shop as option, I think I might end up doing a lot of online sales, local servicing be damned. I'm hopeful the first shop will improve, since it was just sold to a new owner. I'm glad I have more options though; if you don't like the pricing at one place, try looking at others before giving up on local sales.

Nice post... I buy from a local LDS, LP, tdl, and scubatoys and scuba.com... and......

My LDS knows me and knows I try to be reasonable. I don't ask them to lose money, I pay retail if it is something I am buying because I can try it on (having inventory cost money) and they have some very nice volume discount concepts (good for them, good for me). They are a scuba pro dealer, and don't carry a lot of other stuff.

I only buy stuff I would never have a warrenty issue from LP...or something I can only get from them.

I buy from Larry, because I like him and the people there.

I get tanks from TDL and other technical stuff.

If Larry was just down the street, I would most likely only buy from him.

Debraw:
I have always competed with Leisurepro/Scubatoys/diverssupply/diversdiscount/ etc. etc. . It's easy as pie. I just bring up their website look for whatever it is the customer was talking and make sure we are comparing apples to apples. To many times these days a customer will puchase from an online source and will not be told that the item they are purchasing is discontinued. Great it's cheap, but it should be known also that what you are getting is new, current gear. Most of the time I don't need to compete, people know they are getting a good deal when they walk into my store on new, current gear.

So what if an item is discontinued? Does that make it unuseable? I have a wonderfull Aeris Atmos 2 computer that I bought at a very good price. It works very well, there is a manufacturer's warrantee card that the salesman filled out for me, and no one knows any difference.

Or in another instance, when Fujifilm releases their new S5 DSLR, I will buy a new S3 model. I should save enough to help pay for the lens that I want.

garyfotodiver:
So what if an item is discontinued? Does that make it unuseable? I have a wonderfull Aeris Atmos 2 computer that I bought at a very good price. It works very well, there is a manufacturer's warrantee card that the salesman filled out for me, and no one knows any difference.

Or in another instance, when Fujifilm releases their new S5 DSLR, I will buy a new S3 model. I should save enough to help pay for the lens that I want.

No it does not make it unuseable but if an LDS can offer the same price on a discontinued model or a newer model for the SAME PRICE, which one would you buy? I am telling people do not assume that all online retailers offer better deals than your LDS. I know for a fact I can offer better deals on new current regulators/computers/BCD's, major equipment for what other shops sell discontinued equipment for. I would like to see some sort of disclaimer from the scuba industry to advertise what is current and what is discontinued. DO you think you should be told or not? I think I just thought of a thread to start right here on Scubaboard....See Basic scuba discussions forum.

Fordan:

I don't care to haggle either, not even when auto shopping. I do the research so I know about what the dealer invoice is and usually offer $500 over the invoice. If he accepts and come back with about the right number we have a deal. Otherwise we are finished.

Kinda like buying a stollen shovel.

It's a shovel. It works. If ya break the handle, ya can't take it back to the hardware store for a free "warranty" replacement, but ya can still buy a replacement handle. And for what ya saved, ya can buy a bunch of handles.

Now don't go with that, "It's life support equipment!" argument. It's about economics, business and personal fiscal responsibility.

Just my opinion as a member.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom