Buying gear from Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stacey_n_jamie:
i deal with leisure pros online . why would i buy cressi sub fins for 125 bucks from the local dive store or buy em offline for 42.95 same product. and its money out of my pocket. i worked at a local dive store and i know what the mark up is .

See, I'd buy from an ebayer with no feedback at all before I'd buy from LeisurePro again. Especially when other vendors will match their prices and you actually get a warranty (unlike at LP).

So, I guess we all have differing tolerance for risk. Decide where yours lies and then either save some money off ebay or if you feel more comfortable, buy locally...and pay dearly for that comfort.

Cheers :D

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Ummmm...no. I disagree completely and I'll comment about what I like.

I think the perception that buying used scuba gear is dangerous is perpetrated by LDS's. I have seen some crazy stuff said by LDS's to scare people away from Internet sales. And ebay?!?!? Oh my god you'd have to be CRAZY to risk your LIFE buying off of ebay!!!

It's a lame attempt to try to maintain their chokehold on overpriced scuba sales and limit any interest in used gear. These myths hurt consumers on both ends. In the first place, the LDS charges ridiculously inflated rates to the consumer, and then they limit the consumer's ability to reclaim much of their investment when they sell.

You are entitled to your opinions - however, you have completely ducked my previous responses. I more than understand that local dive shops grossly overcharge for some things, however -

1. You have dodged the basic point I made --- customer service. So you over-pay by 100.00 for a reg. What is it worth for you to have a great relationship w/ a LDS that will fix your reg on the spot for you. --- rather than have to send your reg out for service???? I have been saved on several dives because of the relationships I have with a few LDS.

2. I have no problem w/ straight internet sales from "reputable", sanctioned, dealers - frankly, I buy a fair amount, online, from various tech diving dealers --- as long as I have a full warranty, a place to ***** (if I have a problem), I don't care. Frankly, on a few occations, I have brought in on-line price quotes for items and had a lds match them. Especaially when you are talking $650.00 for a single reg. If you don't ask, you are a fool.

3. You, based on your profile, dive at a much different level than I do. I am not going to trust a used reg or wings on a 200fsw dive - that is my preference and keeps my wife and kids happy. Frankly, I had to promise my wife that I would only buy new gear when I got into tech diving.

4. Hey, if I was a basic recreational diver, maybe I would take a chance on used gear. Luckily, money is not a problem for me.

I'm a great defender of honest vendors. I've been screwed big on ebay, it's the worst place of all to shop.

And you are totally dishonest when you say the shop I instruct for sells things for well over retail. Tell one lie and I guess I won't believe much of anything YOU have to say.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Ah Al...always the great defender of the LDS...

EBay is a great way to ACTUALLY save money. I got my Bio Fins for $40 there. So, how is that pretending, Al, when retail is $150 and your dive shop probably sells them for $220?

To the OP, I have bought a ton of stuff on ebay and had a lot of good experiences. Any regs you buy, you will want to have serviced. Even if your LDS won't, you can send em off to ScubaToys. The main consideration with regs is whether they are new enough to still get parts and service. So make sure the brand you are looking at can be serviced by your LDS or ScubaToys or someone.

As far as other gear, I'd buy any of it on ebay myself. The usual ebay rules apply, but I don't see why dive gear is any different from anything else you'd buy on ebay. Sellers with good feedback are almost always helpful and honest. They don't want to wreck their reputation.

Ask Mo2vation whether ebay is a good deal :wink:

Other than LDS zealots like Al, I think you'll find the majority of us buy and sell at least some of our dive gear on ebay. Personally, I have had few if any bad experiences.

Cheers :D

VinceDS:
First off, please stop w/ the LDS propaganda comments. The argument is old and does not apply here..
You see, there are people who are not welcomed into ANY LDS. They become internet zealots usually :wink:

Al Mialkovsky:
And you are totally dishonest when you say the shop I instruct for sells things for well over retail. Tell one lie and I guess I won't believe much of anything YOU have to say.

Al...lighten up...it was a joke, fella. :D

What does your LDS sell Bio-Fins for? Or are they not Apollo dealers?

Because I've never been into a brick and mortar store that had anywhere near an adequate selection...always just a few brands. Nor have I ever been in one that didn't enormously overcharge. I saw a Zeagle Ranger for $800+ a while back.

Sorry to upset you...I really was just joking around with you...

No war, it's just a crapshoot.

You might get a great deal on nice stuff, or pay too much, or get something that wasn't what you thought it was, or get nothing, or get something with hidden problems.

It's just a garage sale where you have to pay before you can see the merchandise.

Terry

jwalko:
I hope I don't start a war here, but I was wondering about opinions reagrding buying gear from Ebay.

How do you feel about it?

What would you consider buying from Ebay (assuming used gear, and not the dive shops advertising new gear on Ebay) and what would you stay away from?

I mentioned in another post that I am looking for new gear. I am thinking regs, BCs, possibly tanks (although that would be last on my list), etc.

I already have exposure suit, mask, fins, snorkel, booties, but am looking to take the next step. I would love some opinions.

Also, when buying used regs, do you find that it is difficult to get your LDS to service them?

John

Ummm, errrr, uhhhh....

Hmmmm.

eBay. I just don't know....

I vote thumbs up.

---
Ken

I feel ebay is just like the for sale section on scuba board always a great deal to get but you need to know what you want and know some one that can fix it and service it. Other wise it is pretty much the same.

There is always a risk.

I'm gonna have to throw down another "thumbs up" for Ebay. Yes, you obviously take a risk any time you buy sight-unseen, but the risks can be mitigated. ALWAYS READ THE SELLERS FEEDBACKS! Stay away from people with more than 1 or 2 negative feedbacks, especially if recent negatives. Don't buy if there aren't pictures posted of the actual item. Be sure to ask any questions of the seller as soon as possible, to make sure they have a chance to respond. Finally, if the if deal sounds "hinky" or "too good to be true" then don't bid. That little voice should do more than keep you from bad dives! Oh yeah, don't buy from sellers in china or tiawan, etc. 99% of the time it's junk or a scam.

When you do find an item you like on Ebay, remember to included the shipping costs in your mental cashregister when placing a bid. If you bid and win a tank for $60, then pay $30 for shipping, you'd be better off paying about $1-$15 more for a brand new one at a LDS. If it need a hydro too, you'll wind up loosing money in the deal.

I bought lots of my gear from Ebay. 2 wet suits, a 3mm for $20, and a 7mm for $100. Both were like new. I saved over $300 on those two items alone. Did the last owner pee in them? Who cares, I washed em out when I got them. I even have one of Mo2vations hoods that I bought from Ebay :D
I bought 2 UW cameras along with lenses (Sea&Sea MM2) and saved hundreds from buying a new one. One had a minor problem, but it's an easy work around. Still dives and shoots.

I bought a great used USD reg too. Only about 4 years old. Total cost for reg, shipping and servicing saved me about another $200 from buying a comparable reg brand new. After it's serviced it's just as good as new too.

Like was said before, don't be impulsive. Decide the MAX you want to spend for the item with shipping and bid that. Then, don't rebid. If you don't get it, another one will be up for auction tommorow (if there aren't already 50 up for bids already). I've spent 3 months watching and biding on items before finally winning one in my price range. But I DID get what I wanted, and saved a lot of money too. :monkeydan

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom