Buying My First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or for just starting out - Edge. I can put you in a complete set up -Sealed diaphragm 1st stage, adjustable second, octo of equal quality to the primary, all hoses, and a choice of gauge setups for more than $100 less than the Scubapro you picked that is sold at Leisure Pro for 575 and as new diver you would not be able to tell the difference in performance. And again if at some time you wanted to I'll sell you the service kits that will allow ANY competent tech to service it.

Everyone will have a different opinion here.

But nobody can deny the quality of your choice. IMO there is no reason to buy mid grade when you can just purchase a reg which will not limit your diving from the beginning. I absolutely love my MK25/S600.

You will also need a back up second stage and a pressure gauge - both will need hoses. I personally dive a balanced reg (G250V)for a back up - which performs well at depth if I ever need it - but opinions will differ on this point.

I'd pass on the console and just put the compass on your left wrist the computer on your right and avoid the bulk of a console. Happy shopping :)

The reason to buy a mid range reg instead of a top of the line is simple, the mid range regs perform just as well as the top end models at a lot less cost. On most regs, the mid range regs have the exact same internal design as the top of the line models. What is missing is a lot of pretty bling and almost useless features put there to help the salesman convince the uninformed diver into thinking the reg is somehow better. There is no need to pay for pretty, performance is what matters.

IMO there is no reason to buy mid grade when you can just purchase a reg which will not limit your diving from the beginning. I absolutely love my MK25/S600.

I'd be interested in an example of a 'mid-grade' reg that would limit your diving, and the reason the reg would be a limiting factor.

Don't forget, just a few decades ago technical divers did extreme dives on regulators that many of today's dive shop salesman would tell you are not good enough to use in the bathtub.

Regulators are by and large much better than they 'need' to be for recreational diving, and they have not really improved over the past few decades.

Getting back to the OP's question, I have to admit I'm a little surprised that you could log 60 dives and still not have a clear picture of the hoses on a regulator. I'm a little jealous; I wish I cared so little about dive equipment!

The typical set up is you get the primary 2nd stage hose with the reg purchase, you'll get a slightly longer hose with an octo purchase, you'll get your LP inflator hose with your BC purchase, and you'll get the SPG hose with the SPG. If you're not buying a BC at this time, you can buy a LP inflator hose for around $25. You could put some thought into hose length if you want. A very nice arrangement IMO is to use a modified technical diving hose set up; use a 5 ft hose between the 1st stage and your primary 2nd, use a 24" hose for the octo, use a 24" hose for the SPG, and err on the shorter side for the LP inflator hose. With this arrangement of hoses, you rout the primary under your right arm, across your chest, and behind your head. The "octo" (alternate 2nd stage is a better term) is suspended from your neck by a bungie "necklace" so when you need it, you know right where it is and you don't even need any hands to get it. For air sharing you donate the primary 2nd, which is likely to happen whether you want to or not anyways should you encounter a truly out-of-air diver. The SPG routs straight down to your left and is clipped to a D ring near your left hip. All BCs have something you can clip this hose to.

You could get the HOG regs along with a BP/W or jacket BC for the same price you will spend on the Scubapro regs.

FWIW I dive 2 MK25's with 2 S600's and they are nice regs (I use a long primary hose and bungee the second reg under my chin for easy access). So are the HOGS that my gal uses. The HOG's are much cheaper to service and no contract stuff to deal with.

i second to this.

If you like the MK25/A700, get it. I have this reg and I love it. There is a lot of good advise here but really, if that is the reg you have in mind, get it. You won't be sorry.

Everyone will have a different opinion here.

But nobody can deny the quality of your choice. IMO there is no reason to buy mid grade when you can just purchase a reg which will not limit your diving from the beginning. I absolutely love my MK25/S600.QUOTE]

The OP's choice is a fine reg, but I would be interested in an explanation from you as to exactly how a mid grade reg will limit his diving.

I forgot, a wrist compass as well. This gets expensive quick!!!

I would get in touch with this guy

Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

maybe buy his book, it's cheaper than a compass, but valuable

before you make, what may be the
most expensive decision of your life.

I'd be interested in an example of a 'mid-grade' reg that would limit your diving, and the reason the reg would be a limiting factor.

I would be interested in an explanation from you as to exactly how a mid grade reg will limit his diving.

Maybe "limiting" is too strong a word. But certainly one advantage of the MK25 design is that the ports are aligned for a very comfortable hose routing when switching over to doubles (if he chooses that path in the future). Another advantage of Scubapro (and a few other brands) - is wide spread availability of service - when traveling or living abroad. Not true of every brand.

Personally, at a minimum, I'd stick with a balanced 2nd stage and a quality reg with plenty of good reviews.

The MK25, S600 is a very nice combo (I have 3 sets). I've found the second stage to be small, light, comfortable and to function very well. It can be often be purchased second hand for around $300-$400.

So are the HOGS that my gal uses. The HOG's are much cheaper to service and no contract stuff to deal with.

Is your gal diving yet :wink:?

The MK25, S600 is a very nice combo (I have 3 sets). I've found the second stage to be small, light, comfortable and to function very well. It can be often be purchased second hand for around $300-$400.

Fine, but I have a MK10/D300 that cost $84. I am certain it outperforms practically anything on the market today in terms of ease of breathing. I have balanced/adjustables that don't breathe quite as effortlessly as the D series, but are excellent for combating dry mouth. On multi-dive days I'll frequently reach for one of those specifically for that reason.

If there was a reg that might "limit" recreational diving, ironically it could be your MK25/S600, as that combination has a checkered reputation in extremely cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom